Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano vs. Penn

Home Port
    Waltham Mass

Cool Shimano vs. Penn

I just figured I would throw this out as a question for you guys. I have been using only Penn reel for my saltwater reels for ever. Just recently I bought a couple of Shimano TLD2S-50LRSA to try a little tuna fishing. The main reason I bought these was the price. I have a 19' CC so I can't get out as often as the larger boats in the fleet, but on a nice day I can make a run out to the bank with no problem. That's why I didn't want to make a large investment money wise. Anyhow it has been bothering me that I didn't go with the Penns I guess I just being brand loyal and I do fully understand you get what you pay for especially fishing tackle. I just wanted to get some opinions.

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    mansfield,ma
    Those reels are all you need. The drag is better on that reel than the 50 vsw penn. Keep the drag backed down to 20-22 lbs at strike and the graphite frame will be okay. I have one in my arsenal of rods and took at least a dozen fish on it. Load it up with 80 lb momoi and you will be good to go. I'm grabbing one new setup before the season gets underway and will probably purchase the same.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    falmouth, massachusetts

Thumbs up tld 50 lrsa

great reel period. i think all shimano big game reels are awsome. you cant go wrong. i have battled 70 lb yellers with my 30 tld and kicked the fishs ass.

just my 2 cents if you can tiagra all the way

ja-hootie

NBS Angling Addict RDSX08 Going Deeper's Avatar
    Home Port
    Niantic Ct
    Images
    We have both on our boat and I think they perform pretty equally.The Shim 's drag is a little more senitive then the Penn's but over all I like them both and will continue to have both on board!

Aqua Massaqua Champion striper1's Avatar
    Home Port
    Norwich, CT
    Images
    I stripped a 330 GTI internals (hold the were plastic) and bought a Shimano to try. Wish all my reels were Shimano but god to hear of the larger reels due to the hope of getting one before the start of the season.
    568# Thresher
    Feed'em Steel!
    26' Striper Alaskan
    Cheri Lynn Charters
    860-625-1398

I was on a four day tuna trip last august with my Shimano TLD2S-50LRSA, a christmas gift the year before. Handled great. We actually ran into football YFT and was using my Shimano tn30 (my cod set up) more which was a lot of fun also.

I own mostly Penn Gold for Offshore stuff, but I do have one Shimano TLD 50 2 speed that I picked up for a real good deal. Seems pretty decent, I've caught plenty of sharks and a few tuna on it. Like others said, the drag is pretty sensitive but also very smooth.
    Tight Lines
    Capt. Ben

offshore, inshore shimano is the way to go,back about 10 years ago i would never say that but they perform much better than penn,and that company has gone down hill.

Home Port
    Springfield, MA
    I got a tld 20 and tld 50 lrsa both reels are excellent, I like the graphite frames because they are much lighter then the internationals but don't look as nice, I do agree with Popeye that penn has gone down hill, had some new special senators and the drags sucked, not smooth at all sold them and bought the two mentioned reels. I think penn only puts quality in the international line as my buddies have them and they are nice but $$$$

Home Port
    Falmouth
    Images
    My friend and I have bought 4 tld50s for this season and it was because of the price but from what i hear it is not much negativity about them all good.i cant wait to try them out.i have a tld 15 that i use to liveline for stripers and i love it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast