Thread: Spooling up my 50 VSW's...

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images

Spooling up my 50 VSW's...

Thinking of trying Suffix on my new 50 VSW's. Any opinions?

Not too sure about trying Momoi, heard too many differing opinions, but seems most like Suffix......

Going with 80# for sure as far as line weight.

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Mystic, CT/New York City
    I've used Momoi Hi-Catch (not Diamond) for the last five season with no problems...other than abrasion resistance. If you're intending on doing any shark fishing, I'd go with Suffix (seems to be a little tougher). Not sure how Suffix tests out, but I'd guess that's close to its rated strength (given the number of top guys that use it).
    Still searchin for my lost shaker of salt.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Yeh, I should have put that they will be used for sharking mostly 8-) Hence the 80# test. Are you sticking with the Momoi still?
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Mystic, CT/New York City
    My outfits took a beating in the Star Island tournament. We had 17 sharks to the boat in two days and fought most of them (the non-qualifying fish) from a dead boat. Naturally, I've got some wear on the line. I'll most likely have them respooled with the Momoi....at least for now.
    Still searchin for my lost shaker of salt.

I prefer my 50s with 130 JB hollow core spectra thus allowing for maximum line capacity. Then a top shot of whatever mono or flouro you want. Spectra also eliminates the need for yearly or bi-yearly line changing. Down in the gulf we will fish straight spectra on our 50w's for jerking Amberjacks and Grouper out of structure.

Brad

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Yeh that was another option but I wound up with the Momoi......

However, I think next spooling will be Suffix.