Thread: Green Crab Traps

Home Port
    Swansea, Ma

Green Crab Traps

I'm looking to buy some crab traps. Is there any particular trap that you guys prefer or company that makes the best one durability wise? Also, Is there one bait that works better than others?

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

my favorite is a trap that folds up flat for easy storage on my boat. also very productive. available at cabelas.
    mk
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

NBS Angling Addict Hwhydah17172002's Avatar
    Home Port
    Buzzards Bay MA
    Images

Ketchum Traps

I would recomend the Green Crab Trap made by Ketchum Traps located in New Bedford Mass. They deliver . Check them out on the web. They catch like a bugger. I have full traps all the season long....Crab Click on green crab trap... You can also specify the size of the traps opening and the size of the mesh that you want the trap made out of.enjoy
    Captain Leighton Harrington
    USCG Aproved 100 Ton
    Towing Endorsment
    WWW.Finaticcharters.org

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    The biggest problem with purchased traps is they don't catch asian crabs as the mesh is too large. Get 1/2" mesh or you can get a plastic 1/2" mesh cloth 3' wide for only a few bucks at any lowes/homedepot store. Cover the trap with it.
    Sometimes asians work much better than greens. Good to have both.
    Hint, keep them in different buckets under your dock or the asians will often eat the greens.

Quote Originally Posted by striperfvr View Post
    I'm looking to buy some crab traps. Is there any particular trap that you guys prefer or company that makes the best one durability wise? Also, Is there one bait that works better than others?
    I have not found the green crab trap that does not work! Some work better than others. The simplest is nothing more than a shopping bag affair made out of hardware mesh with just about any fish rack wired to the bottom. As long as your bait holds up, they are not going to leave. Most use baited eel traps to catch green crabs and they work very well. The Ketcham trap is nothing more than a box with a rectangular hole on top. The crabs fall down into the trap. The entrance has a smooth plastic insert so the crabs cannot get out unless the bait is gone and there is so many crabs in the trap they can walk out on the backs of their comrades. The mesh for the Ketcham trap is one inch and I am guessing 14 gauge PVC coated wire so it should last for years, decades if you stick a small zinc on it. Since the mesh is one inch most of the smaller crabs can get out through the mesh should they want to. A good sized eel trap will out catch the Ketchem one only because it is larger, can hold more bait, and can hold more crabs. You can buy an eel trap at Wilcox in Stonington for around fifty bucks. The best green crab traps are really the southern pawn traps with two entrances. These large traps can have a base of about 30 inches square and although they might weigh in at only around 12 pounds empty, they routinely take over 1000 crabs (more than a five gallon pail full) in a night. Ask yourself how many crabs you need to limit out at 4 fish. I would think that even the modest Ketcham trap would suffice to take care you and a couple of fishing buddies if you heavily bait it. One last word, the pawn traps are what the commerical guys call non conforming. They may be illegal to use in your local because of their size. I would doubt that a CO would really care about what one does in taking a predator for which millions has been spent to get rid of, but the state does need money right now. You can find suppliers if you Google them. As far as bait goes it is hard to find something that does not work. As long as it has flesh on it, it will take them. Blackfish racks work fine and one gets the feeling of efficiency in that Blackfish racks enables one to catch green crabs which are then recycled to catch more Blackfish.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    I find the best trap is the local friendly snail (conch) boat

Our order is placed

Quote Originally Posted by 74Formula233 View Post
    I find the best trap is the local friendly snail (conch) boat

Our order is placed
    Eric,

The conch fishermen use several different types of top entry conch traps. It never occurred to me they would bother with the green crabs they take. I guess the days of when I was a kid and used to get a penny a crab are long gone. Just curious as to what they hit you up for. Around Stonington, the commerical bait dealers supply green crabs by the five gallon pail. Now you have me wondering if a lightweight conch trap with a open top dropped near the rocky shallows wouldn't be the way to go should one want to target large amounts of green crabs. Can't imagine they would charge much for them as they are so easy to catch, but then again, what do I know.
    Those of you who would wish to purchase green crabs by the five gallon bucket from a license CT bait dealer in the Stonington area shoot me a private email. I never asked what his rates are so you will have to negotiate with Dan for his pricing.
    Last edited by Scup; 10-08-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: This post was determined to be a duplicate of one already made.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather