Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toggin' on the "Azores Express" 11-21-09 **PICS**

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images

Lobstah Toggin' on the "Azores Express" 11-21-09 **PICS**

My friend and colleague Val (Valquirio) brought his boat down to Allen Harbor from north of Boston Saturday morning. He brought his friend Marino as well. We met just before 0600, dunked the ride, and got loaded up, fired up, and headed out in FAC conditions for what we hoped would be a meat trip.

LOL OK so the name of the boat isn't the "Azores Express", there is no name......but the owner and his friend are from the Azores LOL.

Actually, Marino's brother-in-law is the mayor of the island that my boss's wife is from! Small friggin world!

Nice 25-26 kt ride on his 19' Arima Sea Ranger (www.arimaboats.com), powered only by a measly 90HP Honda . This is one big boat for a 19', with a "big ride"! Made out in Seattle. Made for fishing.

Started fishing off Newport with a very slow beginning to the bite. We were all by ourselves for quite some time, till mid-late morning. We ended up surrounded by almost a dozen friggin boats. I think the bite was funny just about everywhere, judging by the amount of moving around that was going on.

I set the hook just once, and settled into my piece perfectly. Had a little swing going due to wind/tide (what tide there was!) but the slight swing kept bringing us over a couple little hot spots.

We went through 5 gallons of crabs, due to a bad batch of crabs from a local tackle shop. Nobody had been fishing all week so ~HALF were dead as a doornail. Stunk like CHIT too! But I had no choice, as I got the call from Val late Friday nite LOL. Took what I could get, got a deal anyway.

Anyhow, we had a slow but consistent pick of togs, decent amount of undersized, but also managed our limit of keepers (24 or so lol) ranging from 16" to 19". Threw back a lot of borderline fish.

I understand the bite SUCKED Sunday, so i was glad I made it happen Saturday, plus it was an AWESOME day and ride out and in!

Back at the dock, I gutted, and Val and Marino gilled the fish. They use them whole, heads for fish chowder, and steak the body straight across.

I only kept 4 fillets, enough for dinner, as my freezer is packed now. The goal in my mind was to send him home with a nice "stash" of meat for the winter, since he hasn't gotten out toggin' in several years. Val still kept the heads from the 2 fish I filleted for myself LOL. Nothing goes to waste!

Val told me he enjoyed the day so much, and that it was the best trip he's had on his boat

That's all that matters to me!!!! I made their day and came home with a few fillets for a tasty meal

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4319 - R.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	10704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4320 - R.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	10705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4321 - R.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	10706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4322 - R.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	10707  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4323 - R.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	10708  

Senior NBS Member
    Home Port
    Rhode Island
    That thing has some serious freeboard
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Mr. Happy
    NBS Angling Addict
    Home Port
    Rhode Island
    Images
    Great report and nice photos

I really like that boat with the forward cuddy - It gives you that extra fishing space.

Also got the text pic with those Panko's - Boy I love them on the Tog - Think I got you hooked....

Congrats on a great day.
    Jared
    "I get by with a little help from my friends."
    - some guys from Liverpool

Home Port
    Brighams Cove Maine
    Images
    NICE !!!!! but of course Val and Marino Gilled and kept the heads. they are after all Portuguese !! OK which island ??? Just a thought here but wouldn't it be great if........... Hem....... someone would bring a few Tog down to the Bash for people to try out ???? you know, Tog fingers !!! I really don't remember (it's been so long) but i know they were great !!!! Just think if everyone (Who caught (more than one) tog would bring one down)

OK, so this is from someone who remembers his previous life as a Whaler.

Long you live and high you'll fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry, and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Home Port
    Pt. Judith/Green Harbor/W.Mass
    Images
    Congrats.....You had a better day than Conor and I....we saw the fleet over at Newport and made the run..dropped the hook on a spot with nobody around...nailed two nice fish then boats started moving in on us After that we called it a day...

I had some of those crabs.....MAN did they stink

Great job, Nice report

"You can trust the government, just ask the Indians"

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Yeh that Arima was an impressive little boat. I understand the hull was ~$17k when he bought it new. Only a couple dealers in the Greater New England area, supposedly.

Mud, not sure what island, they told me but I don't remember. I can never remember the island names there LOL.

Alloy, I started to wonder if ther "bad crabs" were the reason for the slow bite at first, but when I saw everyone else pulling their pud, I realized we were actually doing pretty well LOL.

Home Port
    Brighams Cove Maine
    Images

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 74Formula233 View Post
    Yeh that Arima was an impressive little boat. I understand the hull was ~$17k when he bought it new. Only a couple dealers in the Greater New England area, supposedly.

Mud, not sure what island, they told me but I don't remember. I can never remember the island names there LOL.

Alloy, I started to wonder if ther "bad crabs" were the reason for the slow bite at first, but when I saw everyone else pulling their pud, I realized we were actually doing pretty well LOL.

PLEASE don't tell me " I saw everyone else pulling their pud" EVERYONE ?????? what kind of fishermen you have down there ?? AND WHY did you WATCH ????

Long you live and high you'll fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry, and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Mr. Happy
    NBS Angling Addict
    Home Port
    Rhode Island
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old mud View Post
    PLEASE don't tell me " I saw everyone else pulling their pud" EVERYONE ?????? what kind of fishermen you have down there ?? AND WHY did you WATCH ????
    LMAO.........
    "I get by with a little help from my friends."
    - some guys from Liverpool

Home Port
    Pt. Judith/Green Harbor/W.Mass
    Images
    Well I know you didn't see me Eric unless you had the 60X binoculars out

"You can trust the government, just ask the Indians"

Home Port
    Brighams Cove Maine
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlloyToy View Post
    Well I know you didn't see me Eric unless you had the 60X binoculars out

Didn't take you long to clarify that !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast