Thread: Time for a new rod

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images

Time for a new rod

Still laugh when I see it.Last week fishing for togs 10/27 on BONEY Jim was showing me the rod Neil Faulkner Built him.What a nice setup .Its more like a piece of art than a fishing device.So I said yea check this thing out .Ive been fishing with it for 25 years .Well that tog trip ended my use with a 25 year old rod.I got hung up on the rocks so I'm pulling and all of a sudden SNAAAAAPPPP .Sounded like a gun went off .I looked at Jim and he looked at me .We both started roaring all I had in my hand was the butt end of the rod with a reel .This will go down in BONEY HISTORY of laughter.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Heard about this, Chuck.........LOLOL

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi ChuckA,

Sorry to hear you lost a trusty, tried and true friend. I have seen guys break graphite meat sticks, even using mono. All we have is a blank, line and a reel. Too many times it is the blank that pays the price.

I hope Jim let you use his rod out of respect for what happened to yours. Ha,ha!!! Somehow I don't see that as what happened. Sorry Jim.

Remember folks to have a 8" or so piece of 1 " dowel handy at all times. When hung up wrap the line around the dowel and pull. Don't use the rod as a winch.

When fishing sticky bottom, especially toggin', my leader may be 30# test. I add a 10 or 15# test loop at the bottom for the sinker loop. If the sinker snags the 10-15 # test loop will break and save the tog/hooks.

I also fish only 1 hook when toggin', even in deep water.

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    Attachment 249 great idea neil......will try that..........jim...... here is my capt neil rod that i love so much.doing work out in the canyon..only used for fluke my ass......lol click on pic to see the rod and my goofy look.......:violent3: :violent3: :geek:

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images
    Neil ,good point .I should of known better.I used a store bought rig end of the day.It was heavy mono.Now I have a good excuse to look into a new custom all purpose rod for next season.Santas Coming What would you suggest for an all around Porgy Tog Fluke type settup?

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCTEKJim View Post
    Attachment 249 great idea neil......will try that..........jim...... here is my capt neil rod that i love so much.doing work out in the canyon..only used for fluke my ass......lol click on pic to see the rod and my goofy look.......:violent3: :violent3: :geek:
    LOL you're actually ASKING people to click on your pic to see your goofy look? lol

That was funny chit with that Mahi!

Another easy way to break yourself off when stuck in the rocks, is wrap the line around the reel. OR, if you have a spinner, use a boat cleat and let the boat do the work :cool:

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    ChuckA

Hi,

The rod Jim has is built on a CGBT 84 1L composite blank by Lamiglas. It makes a great inshore rod that I rate for up to 8 oz sinkers. Being composite it is braid friendly. You can purchase this as a Lamiglas BL 7020 factory rod, 7' and 20 # test line. It also comes as a
    BL 6620, 6 1/2' and 20# test line. Lamiglas has this Tri-Flex Series in many line classes. Most of the custom rods I build are on the CGBT blanks. They work.

If you fish heavier lead and like a stiff rod for toggin' you will need a heavier rod with less flex. I am sure your custom rod builder has other choices for you.

Today there are too many good blanks/rods out there for us to buy. Many anglers like the St Croix Muskee series for toggin'. They are lite, stiff with lifting power and fast to extra fast tips. Other anglers like the G Loomis rods, very sensitive but I consider them to be finess rods that should be handled carefully.

Calstar and Seeker also have nice blanks/rods that work well.

Check out what your local tackle shops have in stock. We are fortunate to have many fine tackle shops on Long Island with great buys.

I should not have looked at the pic with Jim's rod. How did I ever let him talk me out of that rod? I miss it and have not had time to build another.

Oh well, at least it is being put to good use. My memory fails me at times but JIM, didn't you buy that rod for your wife??? Ha!!!

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    you trouble maker, neil....lol lol ...:confused1: ...husbands and wives share..... .....jim

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    His wife, his ass.....I think I'VE seen the damned thing more times than SHE has!

Chuck, Did You Get The New Stick Yet?