Thread: Smaller Avet Reels

Home Port
    Westbrook

Smaller Avet Reels

I picked up a Shimano rod yesterday (it caught my eye). It's a muskie rod that will do fine on inshore species. Model CPCM76XH Rated for 20-50 pound Line.

I'm pondering what reel I want to get to go with it. It will be used for fluke, tog and could be called into action for bass fishing. Since I tend to fish deeper water 30-100 feet, a little bait caster will not do. (I wrecked a few of them using 12 ounce sinkers in the past.) Strong currents for deep fluke was the mission that killed them.

I know everyone loves the Avet reels. What model does the "crew" recommend and any comments on it. I was pondering one of the heavier calcutta shimano reels but my gut tells me the Avet fits me much better.

Merry Christmas

Jack
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

smaller avet reel

the pink one is the ticket
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    brantrock

avet

Hi i have a few avet reels the drags on the small mxl or jx will stop all inshore fish .The reels will fit in your palm and with . 5.8.1 retreive you
    cant go wrong buy two for the price of a schimano CALCUTER

Home Port
    Westbrook

Pink...

The gold one matches the brown blank much better... and the gold rod holders Jim put on the top...

Jack

Home Port
    Coastal New England
    Images
    The little Avet SX reel is a pure champion. Can be used for anything in the sound, and you will not be let down.

CharkBait usually has decent pricing, and their service is excellent.
    "NO CACHE" 2002 Carolina Skiff 238 Semi-V w/Mercury 125 HP

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    FWIW, I used my SX, this past season, for fluke, tog and stripers down to 120'.
    I was pleased, especially with the fast retrieve. Reeled up stripers to about 30lbs without incident.

Senior NBS Member bostonmackerel's Avatar
    Home Port
    ny but fish out of clinton ct.
    i second the pink one. all kidding aside a buddy on the west end fishes strippers with avets and loves them he has used them a few seasons with no problems and he never had them serviced. you know i wouldn't go that route i would have to have them done every season .

Home Port
    New Windsor NY
    Images
    Go with the SX. I have had mine for a few years and not a single problem, things a tank. I've landed seabass to 6 pounds cod up to 20 and striped bass over 40 pounds and blackfish up to 10 pounds on it. Its an impressive reel for the size.

Avet

I have to agree with Chris and Brad, you can not go wrong with the JX Series. I have one and love it along with many of the larger SX series. These reels are dependable and have plenty of drag. Only 108 days till we are groundfishing again on board Relentless and using those Avets once again.

Dave
    Capt Dave Waldrip
    www.relentlesscharters.com

Home Port
    Westbrook

SX versus JX

What's the difference in the model number? I'm used to the old fashioned designation on penn reel (3/0) etc.. I might also pick up a few larger Avet reels to replace my bigger (old) penn senators.. (see below)..

In my home waters (Clinton, CT) there is an unusual phenomena when diamond jigging - the fish do not hit jigs as readily on smaller diameter reels. (This may sound NUTS but its true.) My only assumption is that it has something to do with spool diameter versus jig speed.

My "wallet" got insulted this past season. I picked up a nice light lamiglass rod and put a Shimano Torium 20 on it (no complaints with the outfit). (Total cost of the outfit was a tad under $400). Spring diamond jigging - the old rods (penn 3/0s and a few Newalls on ugly sticks) out fished the new rod about 5 to 1. Same issue with a light ugly stick with a Shimano Tekota on it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jack