Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blackfish in clinton 11/01

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images

Post blackfish in clinton 11/01

Maggie has some time off, though my back has been bad for two and a half weeks now, we gave it a try for an hour or two today in clinton.
    It was more to test my back than get fish.
    We fished the wall and there were two boats when we arrived about 9:30am.
    Anchored up and dropped in some asian crabs. NADA for over an hour not even a tap.
    Water was dirty and not moving much along that part of the wall. The boats towards the end of the wall didn't seem to be doing anything either so we decided not to move and give it a little longer.
    Maggie finally gets a tap, thump and "she been shined"!!! no crab, no fish.
    I got a very subtle tap almost immediately after (wonder if it was the same fish), let him play a bit as I had put on a whole green crab. Lifted up and had him on the circle hook.
    23" and >7 and <8 lbs, he wouldn't sit still long enough to get a good read on the boga grip. (note to self, bring glasses instead of counting the tick marks LOL).
    It was the only fish boated by us or any of the boats we saw there today.
    There seemed to be quite a bit of soft sand etc where I recall rocks before the storm. Am wondering if the pounding, from the storm last week, pushed a lot of silt, sand into and filling the gaps in the rocks.
    Anyway back started getting tense and we picked up and headed in with tonight's dinner.
    ?Tide: outgoing
    ?Water temp: 55.4 f
    ?Water depth: 10' -13'
    ?Bait: asian and green crabs

Not sure how the other boats made out after we left. Talked with some friends later in the day that had hit some local reefs and they had a few but no big ones.

Question for you tog guys, do you think they've moved out to cleaner water? Should they be back in a few days after it clears up? How do you think the sand/silt piled in there affects them?
    Having only started blackfishing last fall, we've got plenty of questions and few answers ;) THANKS!

Ya Did Better Than Me....been In A Real Bad Slump The Last Few Outings...

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images
    Nice going on tonights dinner, I was out yesterday off guilford the water was real merky.I dont know much more about toggin than you guys,as this is my first season also.I would think the fish everywhere had the same conditions .Where could they go to escape that weather we had.Hopefully once it all settles fishing becomes better.Before the weather goes away for all of us.What a beautiful day you had .

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Wish i had some answers for ya, but my feeling is the blow made some move around.......should be back in action by the weekend. :cool:

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Hopefully. Planning on keeping the boat in until after Thanksgiving so I guess,
    patience is a virtue.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    bob, the bow dodger has to help...........jim

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    After Thanksgiving??? Nice, Bob! We're pulling the 11th!

But Saturday we're making a local Cod attempt.....hero or zero.....we'll post a report...AND I am quite sure I'll be taking a day off during the week for one more blackfish trip! Gotta get one more in!!!!!!!:cool:

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Yes the dodger does help, especially on the run out and back.
    Yep after Thanksgiving hopefully. Last year we pulled our boat Dec. 15th.
    Had to chip ice off the wheel LOL. Maggie complains if we walk down the dock with fishing rod in one hand and snow shovel/scraper in the other.
    If things go well, we'll be back in mid to late March.

Nice sized tog there, Maybe the water temp is cold enough now that the fish are starting to head for deeper water...
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynesworld View Post
    Nice sized tog there, Maybe the water temp is cold enough now that the fish are starting to head for deeper water...
    Out here in RI I've been getting them in 65' of water for the last month or so in good size/numbers ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast