Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coxes Ledge : Cod Trip : Sat, 11/04

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images

Coxes Ledge : Cod Trip : Sat, 11/04

quick rundown of yesterdays trip. i will let eric/possum write... possum/ericformie/cliff erics dad/myself left allan harbor ri in cliffs beutiful 26 fortier got to a hump at coxes. fished a few spots. total tally was 2 cod.1 app 10 lbs some monster porgys. app 3 lbs. app 50 seabass. it was cold but nice to be out...

...just a bunch of dummies trying to catch fish....great day..........jim:rolleyes:

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Sounds like some steady action.

Home Port
    willington ct
    Images

Thumbs up

Great report those tasty seabass were worth the trip...

Home Port
    Coastal New England
    Images
    Shoot on sight:

I HATE DOGFISH !!

Well, it was a great day to be on the water, regardless of results.

We started the day, leaving the dock around 5:30 AM or so. Headed out of the bay and off towards out first mark on Coxes Ledge. The NOAA, in it's usual fashion was right on the mark. Not even close. They called for 2'-4', well, we saw all of that and some MUCH bigger swells that were tightly packed. Made for an interesting 2+ hour ride out to the first stop.

The boat really made the trip safe on the way out. The 26' Fortier with 10' beam rides like a much bigger boat. True to downeast full keel design, the following seas for the entire trip out made for quite a sea dance.

On another note, I got freakin' sea sick on the ride out...made for a miserable morning for me, but I bounced back late morning. I think the damn nicotine patch led to this, as this is not common for me, and once I took it off, the getting better began.

The bulk of the morning was Spiny Dogfish hell. Endangered, my ass. We hit a number of spots that have produced in the past, as well as structures that looked well on the chart. Dogfish after stinking dogfish.

As the morning progressed, we saw the ol' Gale Frances (Frances Fleet) show up out there, on the ol' "Jumbo Sea Bass" trip. We tried to continue our "hunting and prospecting", but to no avail. We joined the other 4-5 boats out there, using the Gale Frances to eek out a catch of our own. Not ideal, but it kept the day from being a fishing wash.

We drifted off various points and began hitting the Sea Bass. Everything from 5" to 16" or so, with many doubles for me. We stayed in this pattern, working these areas for a few hours, putting probably 20+ keeper Sea Bass in the cooler, along with 1 keeper Cod I managed to bring up. A few hub cap sized Porgy also came up, but the season is closed for them, so back they went. We hit a couple of wrecks on the way back in, only to hook up with double Dogfish delight.

All in all, it was an overall good day on the water. Got rather nice in the peak sun hours, but got real cold, real fast, as the sun went down.

We had another learning at the very end of the trip, less thant 2 minutes from the dock. The starboard tank went dry of diesel and the injectors sucked air...stall. It's a good thing Eric and his ol' man (Cliff) took the time to read the manuals and gain the basic understandings of this motor. Starboard feed line closed, manual priming attempts failed, so the injectors had to be cracked, cranked, and reset. Bam, rollin' again.

All in all, a great day, with a good crew. No pix taken, at all. Oh well, life goes on.

Catch:
    • 40-50 Sea Bass (20 or so keepers)
    • 3-4 monster Porgy
    • 2 Cod (1 keeper, around 10#)
    • Spiny Dogfish that couldn't be counted
    "NO CACHE" 2002 Carolina Skiff 238 Semi-V w/Mercury 125 HP

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Well, hell...LOL....I've been busy all day (had family gathering etc etc etc) and here i come on here and Jim/Brad's got the report covered better without anything I could add.......

Except that I had a great time, even if we only managed a couple Cod.

We went expecting nothing more, and hoping for more

Well, the nice pick of seabass helped out for sure, and was a nice break from the "ENDANGERED" spiny dogs......

I think Brad already said "endangered my ass" above...

I think we need to open season FIRST on some of the damn wackos that enact these stupid regs, THEN open season on the dogfish! At least to a point where we can strike a balance out there! I find it hard to believe that the presence of this many dogs out there has no ill effects on the other ground-fisheries....it has to put pressure on them.

Anyways, I digress LOL

We had a great time, that's what matters.....as Jim said above, "just a bunch of dummies trying to catch fish....great day"

That's all any of us are, and that's all we can hope for....a "great day"

Home Port
    Coastal New England
    Images
    Those damn Spiny Dogifsh eat EVERYTHING in their path. Juvenile or fully grown, if they can bite it, they'll eat it. Hell,, I brought up half a Sea Bass..poor little bugger, that had been Dogfished.

I simply cannot understand the "science" behind this protection scheme. It was driven by the PETA mongers, and now the damn regulations they are attempting to abide by are unmeasureable.

How can it be that everywhere you drop, in a 30-40 aquare mile area, yields dogfish after dogfish, with only 5 minutes of soak time?

As stated, Endangered...my ass!!
    "NO CACHE" 2002 Carolina Skiff 238 Semi-V w/Mercury 125 HP

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun out there,Too bad you did'nt fill the boat with cod but those sea bass are tasty morsills.Those bait stealin Dogs have been around forever .Never understand those PETA monger Acts . I understand they scavange and clean the sea bottom but they eat everything.Cant they be made into Ladies shoes or Handbags?

Home Port
    CT
    Images
    glad to hear you guys made it out. There seemed to be a few good reports of cod from coxes and hopefully it picks up. I would like to make a run over there before the season ends, but it might be over for me.

w/ the GOM closure I bet there will be more pressure on places like coxes and the little resurgence we?ve seen in that local fishery could be over.

Eric, I think we talked about bleeding the air from the high pressure side of the injection pump on the canyon trip we did. Glad you guys were able to figure it out. Not a good thing when a diesel runs dry.

pete
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Yeh, we knew cracking the injectors was a sure-thing, but we tried priming several times using the primer first, knowing full well that it's a pain in the ass. Wasn't too long before we cracked the first 4 injectors and that was enough to get her running in no time.

Pays off to know your equipment out there! If it happens when you're out of "tow-range", you should be able to solve most problems on the water and get yourself in (short of major mechanical failure or problems with the actual injection system, etc, of course).

nice trip....i stayed home with nothing to do. maybe theres a problem with my phone lines..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast