Thread: November Tuna East of Chatham Report

Home Port
    CapeCod

Talking November Tuna East of Chatham Report

well we finally got the combination of weather and schedules to line up to get out and chase the tunas yesterday. the goal was to get a keeper (47"+) as they are around...

we left the dock at 3:45 after scraping the ice off of the windshield with air temps (i'm guessing) in the high 20's. but the forecast was for 5-10kt winds w/1-2' seas and clear skies...way too nice to pass up in november.

noaa got this one right and we set out under a bright full moon and calm seas. we were heading to regal sword as the reports were good. got lines in around 5:45 and saw an awesome sunrise. there were already 6-7 draggers working the area and we were probably the 3rd rec boat w/lines in. there was a moderate amount of life around, birds scattered but definitely working on occasion and we saw a couple whales right off the bat so all signs were good.

around 6:15 while i was (ahem) busy in the jon i hear 'FISH ON'. well there's only a couple things that can keep me from getting in the middle of it when i hear those words, but i was in the middle of one them (sorry you had to picture that). but 5 mins later he spit the hook anyway. still not sure what happened, the guy on the rod didn't think it was close to keeper size anyway.

we didn't have long to sulk as we had another fish on around 6:30 and this time we finished the job. a nice 42" fish on a pink squid bar (15" sqiud) taken from the middle of our 7 rod spread. up until yesterday the wayyyyy back bars were the favorite, but yesterday they were picking the middle bars as their favorite. the two biggest knockdowns of the day came on the black bar that we had just off the transom--definitely a keeper sized fish, but we just couldn't get him hooked up. we ended up with 7 fish ranging from 42 to 46". pink was the big producer with 4 of the fish. shrimp had 2 and orange had 1.

water temps were from 52.5 to 52.8 and we were in 190 to 250 feet of water. on the way in we ran across a HUGE flock of birds working like mad over a big school of BIG tuna. we saw a 150lb+ clear the water while crashing bait. of course any time you have a lot of birds over an area you also have a lot of birdbrains in boats that are hell-bent on either putting the fish down or crashing into you, whichever comes first. we stopped and threw some metals into them for about ten minutes but i didn't have the energy to dodge the ~25 other boats that were chasing them. great to see though, i never get tired of just watching these fish feed on the surface. we also saw an awesome display of bass feeding on the surface under a ton of birds as we rounded monomoy. we were already late though (probably around 4) and we were tired and wanted to get home for the pats ( ) so we decided to keep going...

overall it was a great day, just about as good as it can get in november.

can't seem to get the pics to upload, will try again later.

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Nice report! Great to still have the action around this time.......

Figures the ones you got were all just below the limit.....

But still, lots of action, and musta been sweet to see the buck and a half's jumping!

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    sweet..........................................nic e post............jimbo

Home Port
    CapeCod

Pics...

here are some pics (i hope)...

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Insane!!!!! Sign Me Up

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Great shots!

nice fish!

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Very NICE!!!! Great pix too!

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images
    And I thought toggin was fun. Nice pics and report

Just Hang On...lol