Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishfinder upgrade

fishfinder upgrade

i'll be looking to install a new fishfinder this coming spring. it will be a stand alone unit as i am happy with my existing gps & radar. i will also be using a transom mount transducer. any suggestions or advice appreciated. mk

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Look at furuno. I've got the FCV600L and it's great!
    That and the 582 have been replaced with newer models this year.
    620 I believe.
    We used the 600 on our other boat with a through hull transducer and it was unreal. Using a transom mount on this boat with the same 600L.
    Run it in manual and learning the tweaks to get the most out of it will take a little time but I think it's the best out there.

Home Port
    CapeCod
    i really think furuno is the way to go when it comes to sounders. not saying that the HD Ray machines aren't nice because they are. i just think furuno is the best and most bullet proof. i also think that color is a must have...which means your choices are:

used 600L--~$275, 350w
    used 582L--~$550, 600w
    new 620L--~$675, 600w
    new 585L--~$1200, 1kw

i don't list new 600L or new 582L because i think you're better off w/one of the new machines (620/585) if you buy new. the big drawback to the 600L is the interface--buttons--as opposed to the knobs on the other 3 machines. knobs make adjustments faster and easier. the 600 is also a lot less powerful than the other 3, but unless you're headed to the canyons i wouldn't worry about that.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    We'll be getting one for the Fortier also before spring. Previous owner never fished her, believe it or not, so that is the only piece of electronics she doesn't have.......it'll wipe your ass otherwise LOL.

Most importantly we want to make sure we get a VERY good quality thru-hull ducer.

Furuno.....my Choice

Home Port
    commack,ny
    I purchased the furuno 585 after comparing it to my bud's raymarine digital unit.

Home Port
    Blue Planet
    Images
    Pay most attention to your transducer. The Furuno FC 585 is an awesome unit as stated, but only when paired to the 1KW ducer. Most units run on transducers with 600 or less....I ran two boats this year with the 585, one had the standard transom mount, the other the 1KW thru hull with high speed fairing block. Same base unit, yet night and day in performance.

If your budget allows for 1100 bucks plus, and another 400 plus for the 1KW thru hull, then by all means go for it. I too feel Furuno is the superior stand alone sounder to all others on the market, except when you get to the mid level, smaller units of 5 or 6 inch screens or less. Then they all are about equal, except for the Raymarine digital series. The 500 and 600 DX digital machines are about the best in mid level, due to their superior enhancing capabilities with the digital output. Those small units in color are unbelieveable at detail. Hummingbirds 787 Si will give you a great all in one unit, that you can use solely as your sounder(and still have a backup plotter). I played with one of these babies on a grady this summer, and its side scanning is unparralleled in any small machine on the market for bottom detail.

The smaller furuno units are all very good, but don't stand out head and shoulders above like their more advanced(and more$$) units do.

Thumbs up

check out the the new north stars they are awesome.

fish finder

For the money Lowrance give you a great value. Shop around. I bought
    mine online for half the cost the marine stores wanted.

Hi, I love Furuno too. But I have to tell you the Lowarnce 113c HD is the balls. It is a combo unit Sonar/GPS. The cool thing with this unit is that it has an internal card, which allows you to record your trip into the internal 30 GIG hardrive or onto the internal chip. If you should run over a wreck or some good bottom, you no longer have to rush to hit the MOB button. You can walk the cursor back to the "piece" and write down the position right then and there, or read the chip in your computer when you get home using Lowrance's reader software. I am blown away by the clarity and detail I get with the 1000w ducer.
    Capt. Rick
    IN SEARCH OF BIG FREDDIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast