Thread: The Gully 7/15

The Gully 7/15

new to this site - good luck with it Jim.

Filled two coolers and my livewell with Housatonic bunker on Friday AM - pulled the boat up to Galilee with my buddy Joe after work and launched at 4am Sat. Got to the spot Jimmy O reccomended and started the drift. I broke the cardinal rule of leaving the slick to reset twice, but this was my first time sharking on my boat and it took me a while to figure out the drift and currents. Finally got to where I thought I should be and 40 minutes later (11AM), something grabbed the shallow bait under the boat. I saw the white side of the fish as he grabbed it - but could not set the hook. All I knew is it was big! About two minutes later the middle bait started to sing and this time the hook was hook was set. We almost got spooled as the fish broke water 100 yards from the boat. I only saw his shoulders but knew it was a thesher or a mako. I cleared the poles and it was game on, keeping the fish off the stern for an hour - we kept swithing off the pole but we began to realize we were in over our heads with this fish - I had never boated a shark by myself and this was big. It also became apparent that it was a Thresher by the fight - diving deep - staying deep - and trying to get ahead of the boat. As if on cue, Al Anderson from the Prowler trolls right by us and we wave him down - we've fished with him for years. After the cursory ball busting from Al, my buddy jumps on to the Prowler and I hand the pole to him. They had a fresh crew and all the necessary end-game accessories on board. They fought the fish for another 45 min while I circled and took some of the best pics ever. The fish was wrapped in the leader and Anderson skillfully hand lined it off her and sunk the harpoon at 1:15. Back at the dock when we opened her up and looked in her stomach - there was my calling card. A stratford bunker head.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Congrats on the fish..... what was the weight? Post the photos!
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Thresher was 248 lbs. -

how do I post an image here?

Home Port
    Coastal New England
    Images
    Haven't gotten a gallery up yet, but I will. Send the pics to my email address:

nbssportfishing@arctekmarine.com

....and I'll get it right up for ya.
    "NO CACHE" 2002 Carolina Skiff 238 Semi-V w/Mercury 125 HP

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    thanks for giving me credit andy...anyone can do it with preperation...grat job....not bad for a 20 ft grady... 8) jim

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Nice fish! Let's see the pics!