Thread: Any pointers?

Any pointers?

Hi everyone...Gonna give it one more try tomorrow, going out of Mystic to Fishers Island Sound. Would really appreciate if anyone can tell me where all the tautog and stripers are! Thanks alot!!

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

NBS Angling Addict Stress Reeliever's Avatar
    Home Port
    East Haven

Tog Tips

Well it has been a tough year even for experienced Tog Fisherman. So do not get discouraged. Look on a chart before you head out and pick some spots with rocky bottom. I am not famialiar with that area or i would tell you of a few. I would pick 5-6 spots to try. Take your time anchoring, you may have to try 3-4 times before you get on the spot you want. The bottom must be rocky, if you do not feel the rocks with your sinker then reanchor. Fish for 10-15 minutes, if not bites then move a little, let out 20 feet of anchor line or move the anchor line to a different cleat, etc.. Any change could find you fish as Tautog are very finiky. Alos you can try different thinks with your crab bait. Try it with the legs on, then cut the legs off, try a whole crad, then a half, etc..

If you work an entire area in 45 minutes or so and get nothing try one of your other spots. Last week we fished 5 different locations before we found any fish.

Good luck, Blackfishing can be very frustrating until you find them. If you find them thick it is a ball. And they are one of the best tasting fish in the area.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Go Deep......pm Arctek Jim, He Had Good Success Recently, Maybe He Can Steer You In The Right Direction.