Thread: Black Fish question

Home Port
    New Windsor NY
    Images

Black Fish question

I'm new here and am not sure if I'm posting in the right place. While fishing on the Frances Fleet Monday I noticed the guy fishing next to me catching more fish than I was. The only difference I saw was his egg sinker was painted red. I thought it may have been that I was using a bank sinker but later I moved to another spot fishing next to another person and he had the same rig as I did and his bank sinker was painted red and caught more at that spot than I did and I was doing the same think as both guys were. So does the color of the sinker make any difference when togging?

-Chris

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    hi chris, first welcome...i never really tried painting the sinker...i do notice that sometimes the fish like when you leave the legs on or sometimes not. sometimes whole crab. sometimes half..try those combos...it seems o make a difference......jim

Home Port
    New Windsor NY
    Images
    Thanks Jim. I've also noticed that as well also with removing the shell or keeping it on. I just thought I might have increased my catch rate with painting the sinkers as I saw a few people do and slay the tog.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    we went yesterday. half crabs/shell on/legs off....killed em yesterday.....seemed people swore about painting sinkers yellow for winter flounder....might be worth a try

Home Port
    willington ct
    Images
    I used yellow bank sinkers for tog and it seems to work i havnt tryed it in a while..
    Years back i used whole kerr corn for flounder chum in shallow water the corn also brought the black fish in when we cleaned the togs they were full of the corn........

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    Never paint my sinkers and catch lots of togs---BUT--I have read that red is the first color to disappear at depth. Maybe there's something to it??? I don't think togs are leader, sinker, snap shy but who knows?
    All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.

Home Port
    New Windsor NY
    Images
    I've also heard that to, but if that was the case then why bother putting on red beads by the hooks.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Red IS the first color to disappear in the water, and when Tog fishing, you are probably certain they don't see it as red, but as a dark shade of gray.

Plugmeister, you read the same article in Sport Fishing that I was just reading last night?

"Vision Quest" October 2006 issue of Sport Fishing.....

VERY GOOD article, a real "eye opener" :confused1:

Colors disappear in the water column from longest wavelengths to shortest.....

which is:

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.