Thread: Fluke bucktailing rod for shallow water using Spro type lure

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782

Fluke bucktailing rod for shallow water using Spro type lure

Hi,

Shallow water bucktailing is in high gear all around Long Island. Shallow water? Sand bar to approx. 30'. Some anglers use them in deeper water with heavier lures or silver bullets. Will work in New England also.

I am always looking for new blanks that will work for my customers, both custom rods and my less expensive line called The Long Islander Series.

Many of you may not be familiar with a West Coast Company called Batson Enterprises, the maker of Rainshadow/Forecast blanks and Forecast components. Their catalog is filled with reasonable priced blanks and components.

Back to the topic.

I recently built a prototype bucktailing rod using their Forecast model MB843 blank, 1/4-3/4 oz lures, 10-17# test line and graphite material. MSRP$41.93. After testing it I consider it worthy of my product line name.
    A nice blank that makes a nice rod and alble to take a beating from braided line.

As this site grows if you would like me to post details on some of the blanks I use (Lamiglas, Calstar, Seeker, Forecast) and design info I will be happy to do so.

Capt Neil

Have fun building your own rods.
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Neil, that DNY Impact is probably the best BTing rod for under 4oz around. Unfortunately they are next to impossible to get...fortuantely I got 4 of them when I could, lol. Thaanks.

Anyhow, I searched high and low fot a comparable blank, and found the GUSA 703DHX to be a almost exactly identical (I cannot tell them apart fishing them, the DNY is slightly lighter with a tip .5 smaller). Of coursse, finding the 703 to be a match, led me to....wanting a blank a little heavier and one a little lighter....just to have teh perfect rod for every condition, lol. Teh 702 is a really sweet blank for 1oz, and is so much fun to fight fish with since it bends and bends and keeps bending. I know of an 8# fish which was lost at the net caught on one. Going up a notch, for water a little deeper & having to fish a little heavier, the 704 or perfect. Fish's 1-5oz and can be used as a light plugging/jigging rod if you want to have fun wiht the Bass & Albie's. more power than the DNY & 703, so fighting these bigger faster stronger fish is a little easier with this rod.

Other blanks I've used for this, are the LAmiglas Certified Pro XC84MH & H. I prefer to use these to bounce sulver bullets 2-6oz, they are not the best choice for light 1oz jigs imo. Nice bend, more than enough power to filt the fish off the bottom. These are no longer made, Lami has replaced them with IM700 models, which mean they are a little stiffer, and lighter when compared ot teh IM6 XC's. I have built and fish an IM80H, which I like a lot for bullets up to 6oz.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Billy40

Hi Billy,

Great info! Have to stash that info away. I won't compare the blank I'm using to the choices you posted. The diffenence in blank prices is so far apart it would be comparing apples to oranges. However for the price and for the average angler they are just fine. Showed one to Dave at Northport Rod and Reel yesterday. Right away he put an Abu Garcia 5600C4 on it and loved it. I felt bad taking it with me but it is the only one I have right now as a demo. The first two sold instantly.

Funny, we never know how many blanks to order. I only ordered 5 as I had not seen the blank before. These are Rainshadow graphite. Rainshadow also has more expensive higher generation graphites that would compare to the GUSA's.

Okay Billy, answer this but maybe you don't want ELKE to see the answer. With all this blank ordering and building how many rods do you own? Ha, a loaded question. I don't have that many as some of the demo rods (I use them) have been sold and not replaced. Many of the blanks I love I have not had time to build as demos.

I hope the NE members of Nerb's will find this site and help get it rolling.

My best to Elke.

Neil

(631) 567-8049

I really don't own too many. Most of the rods I've built for myself were pretty much trial runs. I had to figure it out for myself, grip lengths, guide configs, blank choices - I spent a lot of money & time figuring out what I feel is the BEST for what I do, where I do it. So the majority of what I have isnt' used. I've also sold a few, and have several on loaner.

I also have rods for my wife, son, and parents, but they are all pretty much MINE, lol!!

Fluke - Impact (3), GUSA 702DHX, 664DHX extended, Lami CGBT781L (2), ML (2), MH (old model), CGBT841L, 781ML extended to 7'6 & cut 4" from the tip; XC80H, 84MH, IMC80H, Calstar 700XL, 700L, 800L (cut from the tip), GUSA 80 Mega Mag, 711H, 70 Monster, 80 Monster (going to start on an 85 Monster for Tortuga's soon), 70HPlus, Predator, Predator Lite (broke); St. Croix 3C66ML-2, All Star IGSP783, 787, Loomis L844GL2. Lami Pergiee LB844, Shinnecock Special given to me by CApt Nail at teh Nassua Collesium show probably back in 2001 (thanks again!!!) Seeker 658 (Bart Simpson rod)

Figure I left 1 or 2 out (Lami IMC781L) and I have about 40 rods.

I've got plans to wrap a pair of GUSA SW70MH's for 8oz Fluking and Sea Bass Porgy, one for me one for my Dad (NY Rangers theme). I also would like an 8-9' 2 piece spinning rod for 15-20#.

My biggest problem is now that I know what I like and want, most of these never see sunlight, and I have a hard time getting rid of them because of all the threadwork & grip inlays in them. I really need to just sell them, and fill in all the holes in my arsenal with teh rods/blanks/components I like to use.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi Billy,

Sounds like it is time for a Mid Season rod Sale!!! I wonder what would happen if you put a couple of them up on Ebay with up scale prices?

They have Fairs out in the Hamptons during the summer. I have to find a way to get on their mailing lists. Your beautiful thread work at exhorbitant high prices should fit right in. Funny, some folks if they don't pay mucho denarios for stuff it is not goot stuff to them.

I am still looking for those clients who want to be to brag that they spent more than anyone else for their fishing rods. Ha!!! Another pipe dream!

Neil

(631) 567-8049