Thread: MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!!

Home Port
    long island

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!!

I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT HOLIDAY. I JUST RECENTLY GOT A NEW CUSTOM ROD FOR XMAS. IT IS A 7'6 SHAKESPEARE WITH A NEWELL 440 3.6:1 GEAR RATIO. IS THAT OK FOR CODFISHING UP NORTH ON THE WALSHS OR EASTMANS?

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

To The Cod Kid,

You probably know more about cod fishing than I do. I have not been cod fishing in decades. One Christmas long ago (like in the fifties,) I got a custom made 7 foot cod fishing rod made by Mike's Tackle Shop on Emmons Ave, Sheepshead Bay. Still have the rod, and the rather small Penn 99 that I have used with it. I wanted to upgrade to a Penn Long Beach reel but that never happened. Never owned an Newell reel, but your gear ratio sounds about right to me. Do not see any reason why one should be in a hurry, or to knock ones self out, in horsing up a large fish from down deep. Likely why no one commented on your Xmas present is because Shakespeare has quite a line of fishing rods. If you would give the particulars written just above fore grip, I am sure some NBS members can tell you what they think of your present. One thing is for sure, you will not ever forget what this Christmas brought you. Good luck with your new outfit.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Brighams Cove Maine
    Images

Thumbs up

Hey Merry Christmas Cod kid !! Similar to the previous post I can give you little or no help. What i can tell you this, my last Cod rod was/ is split Bamboo with a penn 4/0 reel. Still have both, also last used in the 50's. cod fishing is a great start to what can be a life long obsession with a great sport. Your first consideration should be your own safety. Then have FUN !!!!

Long you live and high you'll fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry, and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Home Port
    bristol
    Images
    How much line does it hold? Newell's, as far as I know, are pretty good reels and are good for groundfishing. 3.6 to 1 gears may be a little slow, but still should get the job done. The only reason I say slow and ask line capacity is that a lot of times on the boats you mentioned, Walsh's and Eastman's, fish VERY deeeeep! Like 500 ft+ sometimes. As long you have the line capacity and your rod has enough backbone to handle 16+ oz. jigs you should be all set. Good luck, see you out there someday maybe.
    **CK THEM **CKING SAILBOATS!!!

Home Port
    long island
    it is rated for 30-60 pound mono. i went offshore wreck fishing with it today and it handled 20 ounces of lead ust fine. umm it holds 400 yards of 40 lb mono. i thynk tht should be alright. i fished 220 with it and it barely went below the top of the spool with 20 feet of 60 pound mono
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.