Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shark Tagging Stories

Thumbs up Shark Tagging Stories

I just had a tag returned to me last week from shark that was recaptured in off the Canary Islands......we tagged the shark in 1996.......I also had one brought up by a Japanese long linein' boat about a month ago! Let's here some other stories if you got em'!

Home Port
    www.atlanticoffshorelures.com
    Images
    I've yet to do any shark tagging but I started sharkin just 2 years ago and WOW! I'm luvin it! I've got 3 mako's from 6' to 8.5' and 15 or so Blues from 6' to 14' long. Here's a little blue at boat side Now come on isn't it cute.

Armand
    "Fish are a gift from God, by way of a good Lure"

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    I have tagged a fair amount so far for a "weekend googan" sharker LOL..... 40+

I have caught a few with tags but sometimes it just wasn't safe to remove them due to the thrashing, etc, and not wanting the shark to end up injured (or one of the crew I suppose too ) LOL.

But I sent one in last year. It was tagged 2 weeks prior off Long Island, and I caught it near the Gully.

I hope to eventually get notice of one of "mine" recaptured.

Canary Islands?? wow Japan???? very cool....where did you tag him bluefin? in the northeast?
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStrike View Post
    Canary Islands?? wow Japan???? very cool....where did you tag him bluefin? in the northeast?
    I fish about 20 miles from Portland Head Light (Maine)....a little ledge called Trinidad. One of the sharks was tagged on the NE side of Jefferies Ledge....but Jefferies is 35 miles from my slip....and I like to fish "inside" to help gave gas $$ !

Farthest one I've has come back was caught off of the Azores. Many were caught up on the flemish cap and one from the Med. All blue dogs, never got a tag returned from any of the makos that I tagged.
    ====MakoMike====
    Http://www.Makomania.net

Quote Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
    never got a tag returned from any of the makos that I tagged.
    me either Mike :confused1: I have had a couple small Porbeagles retuned but no Makos

Home Port
    Images
    Ohhhh was that a tag? I thougth it was floss for the meat
    "Fish are a gift from God, by way of a good Lure"

I tagged a 4 ft blue dog off of Chatham and had it caught over in the Azores. I once caught a big fat 250lb blue dog and tagged him up off of P-Town. Ten days later I get this nice looking shark along side the boat and I see he has a tag in him. I quickly get a second tag into him and we were able to get the old tag out of him. As I looked at the tag I notice the numbers were real close to mine. Sure enough, it was the same shark I tagged ten days earlier. He was only about 5 miles from where I had been fishing ten days earlier. That was pretty cool. What are the odds? I did get a mako tagged south of MV and he was caught off of the Carolinas by a longliner. I love sharking, but with all the sbft around I do not get to go as much as I use to. I have around 450 tagged sharks out there, mostly all blues with only three or four small Mako's. Capt. Eric
    "It's Still All About the Bite!"
    www.goose.com

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Great stories guys!

I've only been tagging a couple years, and as mentioned before only have ~40 tags out there, but it must be such an awesome feeling getting a recap. on one you tagged! So far I only recapped somone else's from 2 weeks prior LOL......

I too have mostly blues but probably over a half-dozen Makos.....lotta small Mako pups around last couple years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast