Thread: CPR

CPR

I just received this link to a video showing a new protocol for administering CPR via Continuous Chest Compressions. This new method is very effect and easy to remember

No certification is required to administer this lifesaving treatment and it might mean the difference between life and death when you are offshore.

NEW CPR METHOD

Tight lines,
    Capt. George
    FULL STRIKE ANGLERS

Home Port
    Attleboro, Ma. USA

CPR

George, this new way of doing CPR kind of freaks me out. I believe that it relies only on dissolved oxygen in the blood and that is a finite amount. I also believe that there is a presumption of rescue arriving in some time line that never seems to be mentioned.If an M.I (heart attack) happens on a boat the rescue may not arrive by the time the blood oxygen is used and the victim will expire. I believe in the adage it it aint broke don't fix it. If you administer breaths you are adding oxygen! At one point in my life at a restaurant a women ran in and screamed for help for her boyfriend. I had to ask what she said as I am hard of hearing. I then went outside and 30 people were around a vehicle and one man was leaning into the door feeling for a pulse (neck). He then said leave him alone the rescue will be here! I looked at him and could easily see that he was Cyanotic (blue) And in deep crap! I pulled him from the vehicle and two of us started CPR, I had breaths and another did compressions. At 10 min. into CPR a police officer showed up checked for pulse(neck) felt none and told us to stop! The guy doing compressions stopped, I yelled at him to not listen to the cop and we aren't stopping until we pass him off to the fire dept, he started again and so did I. After another 10 min the paramedic took over. 20 min total and he lived out of space will continue
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Attleboro, Ma. USA

continue CPR

I saw this guy go from the color of this screen to Pink right before my eyes.One word of caution it you do breaths the victim will vomit into your mouth (can't even put words on level of grossness) this can be prevented by having a CPR mask on your boat. The next breath was performed between gags on my part but I had to do it! One of the hardest things I have ever done. When the paramedic put him on the monitor I said I'll be dammed he's in V-Fib. The paramedic stopped looked at me and said how the hell do you know that! The screen was showing the only rythum I know. At that time I had no training at all in CPR but nobody was doing anything and I just reacted. My wife was and is an ER nurse so I believe that reading her medical magazines on the john pretty much resulted in this guy living or staying dead. Whole event scared the crap out of me and when the shakes hit thet lasted for around 1/2 hour. So 20 min CPR, is there enough oxygen in blood for that?If I drop I'd like to get breaths instead of taking a chance how about you?
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Marshfield Ma.
    Images

???

Good find George

Thanks for sharing.

The CPR update class I took last year 2010, the chest pumps went up to 30 pumps to one breathe.I believe before that it was 6 to one.

Capt.Curt Maxon
    www.relentlesscharters.com
    "we are a full service charter boat"

just got re- certified with the 30 compression 2 breath ratio. the new learning materials were not yet available to the agency i used.
    i will have the breathing barrier on my boat as i also have experienced the vomit tasting. with no ems or aed's on the water i like the rescue breathing with compressions, so until the next cert that is what will be used on my boat if necessary.
    (hopefully never)