Thread: chum churn

chum churn

I am looking for a chum churn. Does anyone have some instock?

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

I did not know what a chum churn was so I googled it. Old Mud showed pictures of one he made. It does not look very hard to do so you might want to shoot him a message for the particulars. In addition I came across a "you tube flick" of a guy who had a cheap Home Depot electric wood chipper that he set alongside a cooler and was feeding herring into the top of it. The final chum product looked sort of crappy and I would suspect Old Mud's hand cranked one would be better suited and far more mobile as it did not require an electric motor. Does not surprise me that someone like Old Mud, who worked at a shipyard in his past, has the talent to build such a clever device.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Granby,MA
    "Chum Churn" Handheld Chum Grinder

Or make one:

Make your Own Chum Churn

Body:

Take a piece of 4 inch PVC. Cut to about 30 inches or whatever is the right size for you. Drill a bunch of holes in a bunch of sizes. Cap the bottom with a removable cap or a simple end cap.

At the top attach a “Y”. Actually, its straight with an angled access port. Street Y I think its called. I am not a plumber.

Put a removable cap on the angled access port. This is where you load the fish. Do Not glue the Y to the body yet.

On the straight part of the Y, reduce down to 2 inches with a series of reducers. 4 to 3 then 3 to 2 inch.

Masher:

Use a piece of 1.5 inch PVC. Cap one end.

Slide the uncapped end into the now 2 inch hole at the top of the body/Y. Then, use a joiner/connector for joining two 1.5 inch PVC pipes. This will be attached to the masher inside the body to prevent the masher from coming out of the body once its assembled.

Take another real short piece of 1.5 inch PVC and create teeth with a hack saw. Glue it to the connector so the teeth point down.

Now glue the Y in place.

Run the boat attachment cord thru the two inch portion of the reducer and around the outside of the masher. This will tension the masher, and keep it from over pressuring the 1.5 connector.

If you have a picture of a chum churn, it real easy to build. The only real difference is that you have a better masher, but there is no “auto” churn feature.

The teeth on the PVC will eat through most fish parts without problem. It shreds fish parts better than the chum churn. Press down and give it a twist.

I built a bunch of these one afternoon a couple years back. Gave a few away. Lost the rest by now, but they only cost me a couple bucks to make.
    "If it was that easy.everyone would do it"!

maanglers.com

Joe, my mind went blank trying to figure out just what you have done to build your chum machines. What I saw was a post made by Old Mud Chum Churn vs chum grinder - The BARN and it is post #7. Click on the two pictures and you will see what the old timer did. I thought it was pretty neat and fairly obvious how it would work. What I do not understand is what is going on inside of that PVC pipe of yours. I use a lot of chum in pot fishing for scup and a 4 gallon pail of clam snot ran me $10 last year. What I have done for my chumming applications is to get a large belt driven meat grinder and fit it with a very course blade (only has four arms and no holes). Then off to some of the local Mom and Pop fish stores and grab anything and everything in their scrap pails. I use a machete to whack whatever I have into chunks that will fit into the meat hopper. Even 10 pound lobsters (the ones that have mushy meat in them and taste terrible) are dumped in. Only the end of the large claw is left out as that jams the grinding machine. Tail shells, fish racks, smelly stuff, lobster body shells, blue fish heads, you name it and in it goes. I end up with a pink/white looking chum that is not watery and almost looks like a lobster salad. Works very well in my pots as bait. I am not too happy about the actual grinding process however, as my belt driven grinder would think nothing of taking off my fingers if I got careless. I like chumming but would prefer not to have my fingers make up part of it.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Granby,MA
    I got to be honest with you.I found that on another site and passed it on.We have a store bought one I bought at a tag sale for 3 bucks.The lady had no idea what it was.
    I used a old school hand crank meat grinder for years and used old onion mesh bags I got from a restaurant.and make chum bags for Carp and Cat fishing and for ocean use also.I remember the smell like it was yesterday!

Check this out:
    YouTube - THE CHUM CHOPPER , A NEW CHUMMING DEVICE

This is I believe what the instructions are for,to build something similar..
    Last edited by Crazy Joe; 05-18-2011 at 07:40 AM.

maanglers.com

Home Port
    NH Seacoast

West Marine Fla.

Hey Joe,

I found mine at a West Marine located in Florida (not sure which one). It was not a standard stock item for them, but they had just bought out a local shop and had 14 on hand.

D
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Joe, I went to the site you suggested and now it is very obvious how it works. It is really nothing more than a giant food chopper with holes in its side. Somehow, I think I like Old Mud's device much better as it is much more controlled. While looking at your clip, I saw another you tube clip which is and exact copy of the motor driver grinder I slapped together: YouTube - chum grinder attached to motor video3gpp2 2. Now you know why I am concerned that my hand might end being part of the chum.

Home Port
    Granby,MA
    Yep,I here ya.The power one looks much safer and easier.But,if you're living with using what you got,it beats the old hand grinder and mesh bags! LOL

maanglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by blitzclipse View Post
    I am looking for a chum churn. Does anyone have some instock?

If you found one...could you please let me know where??

CHUM CHURN available

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked-Up View Post
    If you found one...could you please let me know where??
    I have a Chum Churn in excellent condition if anybody is interested. 60.00 + whatever shipping is or you can pick it up in Tarpon Springs Fl. Thanks, John 727-424-6441