Thread: Central CT Late Season Togging ?

Home Port
    Westbrook

Central CT Late Season Togging ?

I have not been out in 2 weeks with bad wind on the weekends and a heavy work load. I'm getting ready to pull the boat and have been pondering giving it one last shot next weekend, IF there is any hope of a decent tog catch. Anyone have any decent reports? My last outing was marked by lots of little fish at Outer SW (Clinton) and a few decent fish.

Thanks & and an early Happy Thanksgiving!

Jack

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

My buddie who fishes out of Clinton told me that he went further south from SW and they got fish on Friday. Fishing 40+ ft. and I would guess you would also do the same if you fished those deeper waters to the south. The togs will be active into December it just gets too cold for us humans.

Senior NBS Member Here Fishy Fishy's Avatar
    Home Port
    Westbrook,Connecticut
    Fished SW yesterday, I got two shorts, my buddy couple shorts and two keepers. Other buddy nada, so we went out on his boat and fished the Saybrook area and got a few nice fish up to 6lbs. Seemed like we had to move around a lot just to pick up a few fish, our machine looked blacked out on the reefs from out tracks.

Fished today Bartletts area, I caught about 10 shorts and 3 keepers. Buddy caught couple shorts, and the capt of the boat not one fish and he is a sharpy. May be that he broke his rod yesterday and was using a backup to a backup. Who knows. I had a good time anyway!! May go out one more time as the dock master is giving us the evil eye to get out!!
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    They're still biting, and in shallow water, too.
    All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.

NBS Extreme Angler fishcounterbob's Avatar
    Home Port
    all
    And many bass in the New Haven shoreline and rivers. Keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by plugmeister View Post
    They're still biting, and in shallow water, too.
    This has been the strangest tog season I ever saw. Usually what happens in my neck of the woods is the togs start out in good numbers and in size in the shallows (10 feet or less) at the beginning of the season (Oct 1). This usually lasts for about ten days to two weeks. Then things seem to go to hell in the shallows and the fish tend to move on to deeper waters as the season moves on. In addition I believe the hot spots usually get fished out of the big togs fairly early on because of the togs popularity. This year one could throw the book away. Plugmeister is right, I would not be a bit surprised at anything concerning togs this year. Things that are in my mind are:
    1. crappy weather kept many anglers home this season i.e. windy and raining weather (or at least predicted so) meant the togs have not been placed under as much pressure as one might think. Most trips I have made there has been little boat traffic around.
    2. JackC is probably right in that the togs migrate from west to east. Some of my best trips happened in November when I would have normally thought the hot spots would have been fished out. It seems that the good locations get refreshed by new blood moving into the area.
    3. Crazy temperatures both air and water! I do not ever remember November being quite as warm as it has been.
    4. Never seen so many shorts all over the place. There are good sized togs around as well but unlike years gone by, one has to do a lot more moving about to be successful for the larger ones.
    5. Without a doubt, this has been the best tog season I ever had!
    Not sure of the why of it, but either the scientists are off the mark again, and/or something has changed drastically about the way one has to approach tog fishing in Fishers Island Sound and it is for the better.
    6. Nothing seems to remain the same for very long, i.e. a good location on one tide can go dead in minutes, and a dead location can suddenly come to life. The next day, everything could be turned around.
    7. This is just a guess on my part, but it may be possible that the normal food supply for the togs has changed. I have been getting almost zero hermit crabs in my pots. Not much more in the way of green or white crabs either. The local coves are full of green crabs but the water temperature has not dropped low enough yet for the green crabs to populate the deeper waters where the togs could make a picnic of them. Do not see where the Asian crabs would be of value to a tog, hiding in the shallows under rocks, unless of course one goes through the trouble of hunting the Asians down and presenting them to the togs. I have been tossing green crabs into a fish car to see if the togs would feed on them while in captivity. The togs seem to be eating just about every crab I tossed into the car. What other reason can there be for the strange behavior of the togs still searching out food and moving about all over the place in what seems to be a sporadic search pattern for them to find food.

Go get them Jack, and if you do not score, play the role of the hunter and search them out. It looks like we might get a decent day or two in this holiday weekend. Good Luck!
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    CLINTON,CT

wtf

Quote Originally Posted by fishcounterbob View Post
    And many bass in the New Haven shoreline and rivers. Keepers.
    wtf call me sometime,i always have a few bl

Senior NBS Member eric ct oe tackle's Avatar
    Home Port
    groton ct
    hi all, the one observation that stands out to me is the willingness for the blackfish to commit to eating the bait, lets say last year i must have made about 30 blackfish trips between elis and the ny bight, every trip , even every drop is always a challenge to feel how the fish will react to taking the bait, sometimes a pop and series of tugs, sometimes just sharp hits sometimes just a light pushing of the bait etc, this year they are just inhaling it much like a cod fish, dont get me wrong im certainely not bitching, but it is a new pattern to me, its makes things less frustrating but at the same time takes some of the fun out. i have caught more fish over 5 lbs than in recent memory, alot of females.