Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No spring togs

Home Port
    Branford, CT

Unhappy No spring togs

Just saw a report that there will be no spring tog season in CT waters. OH well, we'll just have to load up on winter flounder.

All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.

Home Port
    Guilford, CT
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plugmeister View Post
    we'll just have to load up on winter flounder.
    Good thing that fishery was managed so well or we'd be SOL for spring!
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

It is far worse than that! Go to my post made just a few days ago that you probably missed: http://www.nbssportfishing.com/vBfor...closure-18585/. Once there, click on the link "CT/DEP Tautog Closure" You will get the CTDEEP message right from the horse's mouth. It looks like a very good part of the year may be shot and not just spring!
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Westbrook

2012 CT Tog Regulations

I don't have the presentation handy but the short story is that we will be basically looking at a 2 fish bag limit and a 16 inch minimum size. One of the options has a September 1st opening with a close in late November. (My preferred option.)

Scup - the commercial fishery is facing a 53% reduction as well, the agency did not have the changes to the commercial fishery worked out yet.

Spring fishery for CT is over from a recreational perspective.

The fun question is will the NY Party boats come to CT for a 2 fish limit?

Jack
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post
    I don't have the presentation handy but the short story is that we will be basically looking at a 2 fish bag limit and a 16 inch minimum size. One of the options has a September 1st opening with a close in late November. (My preferred option.)

Scup - the commercial fishery is facing a 53% reduction as well, the agency did not have the changes to the commercial fishery worked out yet.

Spring fishery for CT is over from a recreational perspective.

The fun question is will the NY Party boats come to CT for a 2 fish limit?

Jack
    The commercial tog fishery is already closed, and they are not going to have a spring fishery either. Even when the tog fishery had been closed in the past, sometimes it had remained open for the commercial lobster men to take up to 10 fish by-catch per day. I noted this exemption was sometimes contained within commercial closed season messages sent out by CTDEEP but so far, but not this time around! If anybody gets caught with a tog on CT waters this spring, (maybe for most of the summer as well) you will be cited. At least Jack, you have pointed out a sliver lining in this dark cloud, as I do not see how the NY Party boats will be coming over to our waters for two togs. I have mixed feelings for these boats as it is not their fault and this is definitively going to put a hurt on them. On the other hand the reciprocal licensing agreement between CT and NY puts the screws to CT fishermen and it not 100% reciprocal so I am not about to cry over the plight of the NY Party boats. The CT lobster boats are going to feel the pinch as well. Not only do they have to toss any togs caught in their pots over the side, but they are probably not going to put out any scup pots (assuming they have a commercial finfish license) either because of their low wholesale value. Other than lobsters, all they could do is put out conch pots and considering the large number of conch pots I saw last year, I am pretty sure the conch industry is going to have be addressed more seriously than in the past as well. I am looking at all of my commercial licensing and registrations fees set before me right now, and I do not see how I could stay in the black this year. Was even thinking about getting a bait dealers license to sell greens crabs, but it does not look like that is going to be viable way to make a buck either this year.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Westbrook

Conch Fishery

Conch are managed by the CT Department of Agriculture, and your comments are well founded about the explosion in conch pots. I'm not sure anyone if making a living doing it and I have heard comments that they are getting wiped out as well.

Scup - as for your comments on a bait dealers license, it might be a good idea. If we get the longer season but smaller bag, anglers will still be buying the same amount of crabs. While "illegal" most of the boats high grade via a live well so the amount of crabs used will be high - really high if we get a September fishery.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post

Scup - as for your comments on a bait dealers license, it might be a good idea. If we get the longer season but smaller bag, anglers will still be buying the same amount of crabs. While "illegal" most of the boats high grade via a live well so the amount of crabs used will be high - really high if we get a September fishery.

Jack
    Not too sure about the need for more green crabs. Because of the drastic cuts in creel limits, there will have to be more of an abundance of good sized togs about. While it is true that many will upgrade there is a practical limit to even this. Once a boat has landed his creel limit of fish going around five pounds each or more, his catch will be about as good as it is going to get. He might get a few more larger ones but it might be questionable if breaking the law and the extra effort is worth it. Last year, the recreational tog season opened two weeks before the commercial season did, so I went out as a recreational angler for two weeks to basically fill my freezer. I was coming home after using less than 6 green crabs for most of these early season trips. The fishing was so good that I was not even measuring the fish, the first four decent sized fish that came in over the side ended up in my freezer. Trips lasted 20 minutes before I was thinking about heading in, fishing for something else for supper (I tried for Striped Bass but overall it was a bust in close), or heading over to the clamming beds if opened (tough year last season for clams, plenty of clams but the heavy rains kept the conditional beds closed for most of the latter part of the season). By the time the commercial tog season commenced, then it became obvious in my area that the ratio of keepers to throwbacks started to suffer and the green crab count went way way up. One thing is for sure, there is no reason to be concerned about green crabs right now, we are more than six months away before anyone will be worried about purchasing them.

4 tog in New York

I just read on the Montauk Sportfishing report that the NYDEC is proposing a 4fish 16" minimum for the 2012 season. It will be a 70 day season in the fall.

Home Port
    East Hampton/ Mystic
    I don't believe the problem is anglers overfishing, but Seals overfishing! How many times were ya out there in L.i.sound catching Tog and all of a sudden the bite shuts off completely.......ya look around and BAM! There they are, them fat bastids laying around on the rocks chowing down on huge Togs. I think shutting down the spring season is just gonna feed the seals better, thus, they'll stay around longer, breed more, and eventually clean out the fishery. I think we should open up a season on seals, damit! After all, eskimos eat em and wear em.
    Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged wimmin'.

The green peace types have that type of scenario sewn up completely. Out comes their duty poster of a white, cute looking, seal pup, with innocent large black eyes, and it is all over. Think about this, if anyone should harm a seal here in Connecticut, even if is by accident, you are in deep trouble. You do not have to harm a marine mammal to get into trouble, just annoy them and you can be cited. Gil net commercial guys have to be instructed how to release marine mammals from their nets and to be able to produce such documentation of their training on demand. I fish out of 14 foot rowboat and have to carry all kinds of paperwork concerning the marine mammal protection act even though I have never harmed any mammal, marine or otherwise; I still have to be ready to report such in writing. You are guilty and will be cited, if checked and you do not have the paperwork on board for reporting accidents; perish the thought that you have accidentally harmed a marine mammal. The navy has criteria about when they can test or use their sonars when marine mammals are in their proximity. These protection groups have gotten so powerful concerning the protection of marine mammal, that they can bring down or cripple any organization, including govenmental agencies, that can even be remotely correlated with endangering a marine mammal. Right here in CT, our own Mystic Aquarium can still do their shows with California seals but the dolphins (another very sensitive marine mammal) are now only a memory. I am not saying you are wrong, Seahunt202, but it is just something that happens when politics interferes with fisheries management, some tools of control are just removed from consideration. What is strange through, I do remember someone stating there are places where efforts are made to preserve game fish even at the expense of seals, but certainly not in any USA locations that I am aware of.
    Last edited by Scup; 02-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast