Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Stripers in CT

NBS Extreme Angler fishcounterbob's Avatar
    Home Port
    all
    Well the knee jerk response in ct was to allow 2 undersize fish to a certain fishery to create a win/win situation.
    Having observed and participated in the extreme and unique locations where species have expanded thier habitats into non-traditional areas, here is my humble opinion-
    When dams were constructed the value of a natural environment was not a consideration. Until the Magnusun/Stevens act was observed, and the creation of a governing body for fisheries[specifically marine species] dominated the decision making process, were have been subjected to isolated atrocities concerning multiple species which has forever impacted the future of a natural and balanced marine and fresh water environments.

At fault is man, greed, and specific agendas. A select few are responsible for many problems, but overall it is the department of commerce which provides funding for these inappropriate and irresponsible actions. Army Corp of Engineers, Noaa, NMFS, and ignorance all played a vital roll in our current problems.

So Derby dam, enfield dam, thames, are major issues and all smaller tributaries hare profoundly affected fish habitat. Specifically these obsticles have created a new wildy fluctuating environment for fish, and they have responded as mother nature has intended by evolving new mechanisms to cope with these obsticles. Survival of the fittest is an ongoing process.

In the 90's I callenged the DEP to comment on the possibility of striped bass spawning outside of the Hudson/Chesapeake concept of only 2 genomes. It was apparent that the 4 inch specimins I was displaying behind him at the CT River Museum did not and could not make the safe journey along with the large biomass of bass that seasonally made the journey. There was no evidence to prove anything at that time.

Now I have observed wintering populations in both these and unobstructed rivers like the Quinnipiac, and there is no denying that these populations exist but I am hard pressed to say they are associated with one genome or the other. Take note of the occurance of broken lateral lines on certain fish. In some species this occures when hatchery fish mix with the natural varieties. Inconclusive, yes, but as we look at our failure to protect natural populations like the salmon and other species and it seems we are destined to repeat our failures.

Specifically I am all for taking these tasty undersize ravinous menaces as the main biomass of traditional bass in the ocean is well protected and stable, and these critters are detremental to the shad, herring, and alwife populations we are intending to restore. They are decimating the juvinile food source before they mature in their own nursery. protect the food source and preserve the predator.

Perhaps this shoud be discussed in a new thread

Tight lines and see you on the cod grounds.FCB
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Interesting discussion no matter where it is posted. I know what has been so long ago, and I can see now what is happening right before my eyes, but am in a fog as to the many causes. Fishcounterbob discussions seems to fit and explain what I am actually seeing far better than any of the other explanations that I have heard.

Actually, there have been very few discussions given by the many fish regulatory agencies Fishcounterbob mentioned, and always they brag about their successes and never a word about their numerous failures. And if there has been has been a failure, they always seem to imply it was everyones else's fault but their own.

Starting to think that while most NBS members have not quite figured out all the ins and outs as to the exact causes of why a species gets itself into trouble, we are no longer willing to accept the entire blame for the disasters that just keep on being thrown at us.

Enjoy your posts Fishcounterbob!
    Last edited by Scup; 12-19-2014 at 02:41 AM.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    Snug Harbor Afloat
    Images
    FCB

Well thought out and clearly articulated commentary.

A parallel line of reasoning can be applied up here on Terra Firma.

For as long as owning my home, I've been not so merrily hacking away at that woody weed known as Autumn Olive or Russian Olive. This nuisance will render my driveway impassable within a few years if left unchecked. The berries that they produce will, after exiting a bird's ass, etch the finish on my vehicles of not promptly cleaned off.

This invasive species was introduced by man to the USA for erosion control and to counter the effects of -gasp- strip mining.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...82001339,d.cWc

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly....................

Last edited by swamper; 12-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE.

NBS Extreme Angler fishcounterbob's Avatar
    Home Port
    all
    I was watching on the Quinnipiac with the tide almost out and cast my sibiki and kastmaster for what I was hoping to be poor man's tarpon and all I got were stripers cooked on the grill pronto. Well worth the effort. I'll bet there are herring at the Tomlinson on little gold hooks.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Thumbs up Good

Nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12