Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tragic Day Off Watch Hill

Home Port
    Pt. Judith/Green Harbor/W.Mass
    Images
    So sad!!

I read that the "60 Princess" was purchased at Newport and was being delivered by the broker to Stamford CT

"You can trust the government, just ask the Indians"

Home Port
    RI
    I saw the boat at PointView marina out of the water monday. I was surprised by how LITTLE damage for a fatal boat accident. Just a gouge starboard bow just above water line maybe 6' long. This is why I keep an engine running when drifting off the center wall.
    chris J
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Images
    http://www.dem.ri.gov/news/2015/pr/1020153.htm

PROVIDENCE - The Department of Environmental Management's Division of Law Enforcement would like to speak with anyone who has pertinent information or video related to a fatal boating collision that occurred last month in the waters off Westerly near Napatree Point.

On September 22, 2015, environmental police officers from DEM's Division of Law Enforcement responded to the Napatree Point area to investigate the boating collision. Walter S. Krupinski, age 81, of Stonington, CT sustained fatal injuries when his 23-foot, 1989 Steiger Craft came into contact with a 60-foot, 2016 Viking Princess 60 Yacht.

The Viking Princess 60 is owned by Viking Sport Cruisers of New Gretna, NJ. The vessel was on display at the Newport Boat Show prior to the fatal collision, and was en route to Old Saybrook, CT for another boat show at the time of the collision. The Viking Princess 60 was being transported by a hired captain, Cooper W. Bacon, age 76, of Cape May Court House, NJ with a first mate, William L. Noe, III, age 73, of Woodbine, NJ.

The incident continues to be actively investigated by DEM's Division of Law Enforcement, with assistance from the U.S. Coast Guard and the Westerly Police Department. Any persons with information, photos or video of the incident who have not already been in contact with investigators are asked to contact DEM's Division of Law Enforcement at (401)222-3070.

Home Port
    RI
    They should call channel 10 or Ocean House. They have a webcam/weather cam pointing to the lighthouse from top of Ocean House...
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Images
    I don't like to rehash tragic events like this but we are coming up on a year since this happened. Was there any out come from this or any kind of finding?

I work with a relative of Wally H. at the store, and she told me that Wally had left his wife in reasonably good financial condition. He really was a damn good commercial fisherman.

A civil lawsuit was filed by his wife, but have not heard anything about how that is going. Not only is Wally gone, but I do not even see his truck parked on his property when I pass by.

What I find very troubling is that there was a homicide committed (death by unnatural causes) and nothing, to my knowledge, ever really happened of any consequence to the two men involved in the accident/incident.

An accident like the above does leave a permanent imprint on the minds of those who knew Wally. Since I fish out of a very low profile 18 foot ride, there is not a time when I see a large craft bearing down on me that I do not have a mental picture of what had happened to Wally and know that it could happen again to just about anyone. There is always that sign of relief when the approaching craft veers away indicating that you have been noted.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    RI
    RI laws do not allow for anything equivalent to "Driving to endanger - death resulting" like in automobile accidents. He basically received a $300 fine from RIDEM because they had no real law they could prosecute on. That is why wife filed civil suit - and she's justified in doing so obviously. The curious thing is that I have not heard that any lawmakers have proposed any laws to close this loophole. I assume state lawmakers can pass laws pertaining to state waters, but I could be wrong.
    chris J

Quote Originally Posted by cjtuna View Post
    RI laws do not allow for anything equivalent to "Driving to endanger - death resulting" like in automobile accidents. He basically received a $300 fine from RIDEM because they had no real law they could prosecute on. That is why wife filed civil suit - and she's justified in doing so obviously. The curious thing is that I have not heard that any lawmakers have proposed any laws to close this loophole. I assume state lawmakers can pass laws pertaining to state waters, but I could be wrong.
    chris J
    Thank you for the explanation as I really was puzzled as to why of it.

RI should really be ashamed of themselves especially since they have such a high ratio of shoreline to land mass. When I think of RI, clamming, lobstering, beaches, commercial fishing fleets, recreational fishing, Naval underwater research facilities, and exclusive waterfront mansions (Newport) comes to my mind. Nearly everything positive about RI is water related and the only really negative thing that I can think of is their lack luster elective officials. I would guess that it doesn't surprise anyone they have done nothing to correct a loophole.
    Last edited by Scup; 09-16-2016 at 05:48 AM.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Update

There has been an update to Wally H's accident. The Mystic river press (OCT 6, 2016)has an article tittled “Continuations frustrate the widow of the boat crash victim”.

My impression, after reading the interesting article, seems to follow what cjtuna posted. The captain pleaded not guilty to three violations of the US Coast Guard Inland Navigation rules:

1. Improper navigation or failure to have a lookout
    2. Failure to take action to avoid a collision
    3. Improper overtaking of another vessel

All of the above resulted in a maximum of a $300 fine. What seems to me to be somewhat out whack is the captain was charged by the State Department of Environmental Management's Division of Law Enforcement. I am really not sure how they got into the act.

The remainder of the article reads like a football game in which the case has been tossed back and forth between more government agencies than I even knew we had.

1. Pretrial conferences were called/continued numerous times

2. In June the case was accepted by US Attorney's office for the
    district of Rhode Island by the Investigations Division of the US Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound. I have no idea of what I have just written!

3. Currently the case is under review and there is no change in status.

Dawn Kallen, chief of the Coast Guard Investigations Division, said the decision to refer the case to the Dept of Justice came about through the division's ongoing investigation.

Forgive me if this post seems so muddled as all I have done is hit upon a few salient points of interest for members whom wish to learn more and where to find such. I am totally befuddled as to how confounding the process seems to have become to seek justice for a fellow fisherman who just happened to be plying his trade. It is not clear to me either as to why this could not happen to any fisherman reading this post.
    Last edited by Scup; 10-09-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Home Port
    Images
    I just happen to catch this online:

http://cruisingodyssey.com/2017/12/0...enter-console/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123