Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragic Day Off Watch Hill

Home Port
    Pt. Judith/Green Harbor/W.Mass
    Images

Tragic Day Off Watch Hill

Was at watch Hill today and heard there was a tragic accident this morning Saw the DEM doing the investigation aboard the large motor vessel that apparently ran over two guys fishing the passage

Thought and prayers go out to the fisherman so family

"You can trust the government, just ask the Indians"

Wtf after those guys got hit off montauk now this wow
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Just finished mentioning on a different post, the dangers of a small boat fishing in the fog; but today there was no fog out there! My guess would be the larger boat was on auto-pilot and not paying attention or even having a lookout. Auto-pilots work great but that does not mean you do not have the obligation to keep a watchful eye. Very sad incident.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    RI
    Having never had auto-pilot I would never know, but I would expect you'd turn off the auto and take the wheel to get through that narrow channel. Brisk east wind probably didn't help, but I believe tide was incoming all morning so not as rough as it could have been there. I am curious how the guy died? Water's not cold. Did the collision lead to him being in water and actually getting hit himself? Hope we learn more today...
    chris J
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Images
    Was able to get close enough to the bow of the larger vessel The starboard bow quarter was badly damaged at the waterline The pic I was shown showed a small boat maybe 18 feet overturned in the passage this was from a surf fisherman that was fishing the rocks at the light house winds were E/NE

Home Port
    Connecticut
    Images
    I'm sure Scup knows who the deceased is, being a pin hook fisherman and having worked at the Stonington commercial dock. My condolences, Scup, if that's the case.

The victim was identified by friends as 81-year-old Walter Krupinski, a longtime commercial rod-and-reel fisherman who sold his catch at Stonington Town Dock and sometimes filled in as dockmaster.

Sheer negligence… The fisherman's boat was a 25' Steiger craft center console… hard to miss - even harder to hit unless you're sleeping at the helm.
    Last edited by piscator; 09-23-2015 at 01:23 PM.

I knew him! Rather than duplicate my post about him, see the other post on this incident. When I first heard about it, I did not know it was Wally that perished. Easternboat also knows him.

I really cannot understand how a collision like this could happen on a clear day. Obviously there was no one paying attention at the helm assuming there was someone at the helm. I guess alcohol or drugs could be responsible or perhaps there was seven year old at the helm as some boaters think this is cute, but auto-pilot seems to me to be the most likely cause. Even professionals (tongue in cheek) can screw up with auto-pilots.

I still can recall an incident concerning auto-pilots, decades ago when I was working for the Navy. We were operating (Destroyer) in VACAPES area, when a tanker bored down on us. We knew exactly where the tanker was as we we were plotting his course and speed for more than 18 miles. We hailed him and there was no response. We altered our course to pass safely by him. Then he changed course and started to veer right into us. There was extreme concern on the bridge as we did not know what the hell was going on with this civilian tanker. Was the helmsman drunk, had a heart attack, was on a suicide mission or what? What in the world would this idiot do next? Rapid blasts from our horn indicating “immediate danger” finally got results.

A hatch popped open and guy came out of it and we watched him run the entire length of the tanker to the pilot house (note that the pilot house is several levels higher than the main deck so this guy had to climb some steps or ladders as well to get to his station). Finally he responded to our hail; I really did not believe what I had just seen.

Afterwards in the wardroom the officers talked about what had happened. The best they could come up with is there was poker game happening below and there was no one in the pilot house. The tanker had a programed course entered into its auto-pilot and the tanker was blindly going where it was suppose to go, and heaven help anyone who got in its way.
    Last edited by Scup; 09-23-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go" by William Feather

Home Port
    RI
    And do we think victim was anchored? Why else could he not have moved seeing that huge boat bearing down on him from a long distance? My other thought was he had a heart attack on his boat then was hit, another possible reason why he was dead so quickly (i.e. couldn't swim). Always sad when someone dies on the water. Reminds me to keep a close eye at all times, especially with my kids on the boat.
    chris J

Home Port
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtuna View Post
    And do we think victim was anchored? Why else could he not have moved seeing that huge boat bearing down on him from a long distance? My other thought was he had a heart attack on his boat then was hit, another possible reason why he was dead so quickly (i.e. couldn't swim). Always sad when someone dies on the water. Reminds me to keep a close eye at all times, especially with my kids on the boat.
    chris J
    Clear day perhaps sunlight??? Thought about the smaller boat being anchored and maybe the anchor letting go......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast