Thread: 6 weeks left til Haddock season!

6 weeks left til Haddock season!

Whew, long winter here. With my hand recovering from surgery in December, I'm not even tempted by the cod bite off of Block Island. But, haddock season opens up on April 15 and I expect it to be better than last year. If you didn't get out there last year or didn't hear about it...I'll get the link to a gopro video I took of the bottom of Stellwagen Bank.. It was insane...

There were days when every drop was a haddock (or cod, that went back)... We are able to use light tackle (fluke gear/sea bass gear) for haddock as we're fishing in less than 100' of water on most days. It's a blast. No bait necessary; just teasers and light jigs. So much fun. I like using homemade flies and a very, very slow jigging motion. We find that the haddock follow the dragging jig...then hit when you slowly lift it off of the bottom... Also, just use a single swing hook on the bottom of the jig. You snag far fewer fish that way....and it makes releasing fish much easier (whether into the bucket or the ocean)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160429_110133325.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	20068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160625_124428656.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	20069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160818_114454695.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	20070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02226.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	20071

By June, the fish are in deeper water (and we also have tuna and incredible striper fishing)....and the sharks.....I just had the second-to-last bag of porbeagle from last year. It made an amazing chowder.

See you guys on the water!

Capt. Rich Antonino, Black Rose Fishing Charters
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    New London, CT
    . . ....went to NH for the first time last year to fish for haddock. ...had a great time/trip. Going to Gloucester in May. ......
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.