Thread: Montauk Sportfishing Report 8/21/06

Montauk Sportfishing Report 8/21/06

8/21/06
    Last weekend we had great fluke fishing, and for big fish. Then on Monday we had 20-25 southwest, and that knocked
    put the fish off for a couple of days, and by the weekend things were great again. Now on Sunday we had some more
    southwest breeze, so we? might have to wait a day or so for it to pick up again.

The striped bass fishing is pretty good, but there is a ?but? to it. If you are in the right place at the right time, you can get
    some real nice sized fish. If you are not there for that magic half hour or so, you will have to do with small fish and
    bluefish.

The yellowfin action is pretty spotty right now, and day trips to the 500 line are not producing much except for the mahi
    that hang around the pots. On the edge itself boats are getting a few fish trolling at dawn and dusk, but that?s about it.

The MISTRESS TOO was over at the Mudhole on Saturday trying to catch a bluefin. Apparently there are plenty of
    them there, ranging from small to giant, but they are kind of line shy. Bart went down to thirty pound line, but would
    watch them eat every butterfish except the one with the hook in it.

Shark fishing is now ?I hope I get a bite? fishing, in other words slow. If you do get a bite it is most likely a big blue one,
    or a small mako, but there is also the possibility of a hammerhead or tiger, but not much chance of a thresher anymore.

Next weekend Uhlein?s is holding the Mercury Grand Slam Tournament, an inshore contest with points awarded based
    on the weight of the various inshore species. For more info call 631 668 3799 or go to
    http://www.montaukmercurygrandslam.org/.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a note at captgene@montauksportfishing.com.
    For more information about fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
    http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Coastal New England
    Images
    Good Information Captain Gene.

It appears there is alot of life out there, but not taking the baits laid out for them. I have heard dozens of reports stating the poor sharking and the mediocre tuna bite.

Quite odd for this time of year, maybe it will heat up again soon. One can hope.
    "NO CACHE" 2002 Carolina Skiff 238 Semi-V w/Mercury 125 HP

montauk is the life......no better place in the world...except for maybe the carribbean....but that's only because there's nude beaches in the carib!