Thread: Welcome aboard!

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782

Welcome aboard!

Hi,

Jim asked me to lend a hand getting the rod building forum started. So here we are available to answer questions, offer help and assistance.

This is a forum for all of you to participate in. The more builders that post and offer solutions the better the forum will be. We will have the opportunity to learn from each other. It is amazing how much I learn while teaching rod building. Each of us come from different walks of life, different experiences and talents. Please lend a hand.

Remember any question honestly asked is a good question and deserves the best answer that can be given.

In rod building most times there is no exact right or wrong way to complete a task. Each of us has different ways of completing these tasks.

So welcome aboard and let's get started!

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Coastal New England
    Images
    Capt Neil,

I'm making this a sticky, so it stays at the top for you. This way, all who come along to this forum will see your intro first.

Brad -
    "NO CACHE" 2002 Carolina Skiff 238 Semi-V w/Mercury 125 HP

Home Port
    Mystic, CT/New York City
    Capt. Neil:

Although I've dabbled in making my own offshore resin-head lures, I have yet to try to build my own offshore rods. The one facet of rod building that has always intriqued me is wrapping. Is/are there a book or books where one can at least be introduced to the process and how some of the more ornate wraps are done.

Thanks.

TT
    Still searchin for my lost shaker of salt.

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    TT

Thanks for being the first to post a question.

Here are a couple of books that are very good. Unfortunately both are hard to get as they have been out of print. There has been talk that they will be updated and printed again but I have not heard anything definite.

1. Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale P. Clemens This is more about rod building but also has good info on butt wraps.

2. Custom Thread Rod Art by Dale P. Clemens This is entirely about the design of wraps. Almost an encylclopdia.

A friend of mine Billy40 produced and sold a book called Decorative Wraps. Although only 32 pages it is great. Loaded with pics, instructions and some of his own designs.

He has formed a group called NERBs, North East Rod Builders. They have meetings on Long Island, Ct , NY, NJ and Ma. Their forte is butt wraps and I mean fancy ones. You can contact Billy40 by email, xlrods@yahoo.com Tell him that Capt Neil gave you the info.

If you would like to attend a rod building Seminar, my friend Al Goldberg will be hosting a weekend seminar in Vernon, CT next March. He hosts the seminar every other year. Many old time RodCrafters give demos, talks and you can go one on one to pick their brains. Great guys!

I will contact Billy40 and see if he can post pics of some of his work.

As a rod drsigner/builder I am not into fancy wraps. I get my kicks finding blanks that will do the job that a client needs and then designing/building the best rod. I do use Gudebrods braided wrap material. My clients like it's look.

Stay tuned.

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Mystic, CT/New York City
    Capt. Neil:

Great information. I will definetly look for those recommended books.

I always enjoy seeing custom wraps, so if you have people that want to post their "artwork", please do.

Tony
    Still searchin for my lost shaker of salt.

Home Port
    Gorham, ME, USA

Penn 704 Needs a Rod

I would like suggestions of the rod blank and guides to choose. I have a Penn 704 that is looking for a rod. It wants something no longer than 7' on the boat. It wants to test its drag against tuna.

Thanks
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.