Thread: Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/26/06

Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/26/06

6/26/06

Well, that was a lovely weekend. I don?t think we have to do any worrying about a drought this year.

The second shark tournament of the year is history. The Marine Basin tournament had a little over a hundred boats in it,
    about the same as last year, which is pretty surprising considering the weather. There are always a lot of boats that wait
    until the last minute to sign up, and then decide if they want in or not depending on the weather forecast.

The fishing was not an awful lot to rave about, with only ten fish weighed in, with no threshers - the first time that has
    occurred in quite a while. The sharks are still pretty far out for this time of year, with forty fathoms about the closest you
    can fish and expect any success, unless you count the doggies. I don?t believe I ever caught a dogfish while shark fishing,
    but this year they are quite common. And, to add insult to injury, any day now we will be receiving the notice that the
    commercial dogfish quota is filled.

The results are as follows;
    1st Place Overall - 315 lbs Blueshark - FISH ON
    1st Place Mako - 192 lbs - TUNA TANGLER
    2nd Place Mako - 179 lbs - CAPT MARK
    3rd Place Mako - 170 lbs - TIGER SHARK
    1st Place Blueshark - 315 lbs - FISH ON
    2nd Place Blueshark - 272 lbs - REAL NICE
    3rd Place Blueshark - 247 lbs - MY DENISE

I?ve been in the charterboat game for around thirty years or so, and I?ve never seen the business so slow, and I can?t
    explain it. The striped bass fishing is great, and that is the main interest of most of the clients, so it can?t be that. Fluke
    fishing isn?t what it should be, and I can understand few people booking all day inshore trips, which are usually split
    between bass and fluke. But that doesn?t explain the lack of half day trips. And the head boats are doing even worse. On
    Friday The LAZYBONES and the VIKING were the only head boats that sailed. All the rest sat, and Friday is usually
    the second busiest day of the week.

It seems like the bluefins that were cavorting around near the fluke boats have moved on. At least I haven?t heard about
    them recently.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a note at captgene@montauksportfishing.com.
    For more information about fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
    http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

Capt Gene Kelly
    Montauk Sportfishing
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Welcome to the site Capt. Gene, and great first post!

Keep the reports coming!
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.