Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat rods & reels

Home Port
    Warwick, RI

Boat rods & reels

Hello,

I am new to boat fishing and am looking for a couple of boat rods & reels.

I have done some surf fishing in the past and have a couple of Penn 704Z reels with 10' rods. I'm don't think these would be suitable for use in a boat. I would be going after bass & bluefish and also some bottom fishing. Looking at the Ugly Stik BWB1130 or BWB1140 with maybe a Shimano TR200G reel. Any input would be helpful. I don't know if it makes any difference as to the rod & reel but the boat is a 23' Trophy and would be fishing Narragansett Bay.

Ken

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    I think the Shimano reels are very nice, but I have a couple of the 704Z's also that I use, they are the only spinners I own. Not wanting to spend the coin on new Shimano reels, see my thread in this section about how I converted them to "bail-less":

http://www.nbssportfishing.com/vBfor...ead.php?t=3795

I have one on an 8' Ugly Stick 10-25#, and another on a Shimano 8' Socorro 15-30#. Both very inexpensive but effective setups.

I have used both for everything from snagging pogies (prefer the Shimano rod for this), bass and blue fishing, tautog fishing, fluking, mahi-mahi, scup, seabass.....etc etc.....

Home Port
    Warwick, RI

Boat Rod&Reel

Hello,

Thank You for the reply. I will try the conversion kits for the 704Z's and get medium action 7' or ' 8' boat rods & 20lb line?

Ken
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Westbrook

No BS Boat rods

Suggestion is to get a "real boat rod" to compliment the spinning rods. For live lining bunker, eels, scup you will want a nice boat rod. Ugly sticks are fine, some speak badly of them but they fish well and are tough. There are lots of choices on the market, reels, go mid price range and you should have a good reel (assume around $100 for a decent reel). I like Shimano Tekotas which are a bit more expensive but I have a "boat load" of old Penn senators which break down from time to time but are the old stand by. You want braided line on your boat rod - fill the reel with cheap mono and put 100-150 yards of braid on top, suggestion is around 50 pound braid - if your fishing for big bass in lobster pots I like 65 braid. (Power Pro or Stren Super Braid is my choice). The "conventional" set up gives you more line control and feel for fishing deep water, big baits and more power to wrestle a big fish to the boat. If you fish deep water rips the conventional rod will let you do things you can't do with a spinning rod (diamond jig, troll big plugs, etc.) Welcome to boat world. Jack

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    As Jack said above, a conventional setup is a must as well......I wanted to post more yesterday but I didn't have time......he's right on with the braid too (I use 65# PP).....

My point with the 704Z's is don't underestimate them on the boat....we've been using 704z's on the boat forever LOL.....there are lots of nice reels but those you can't kill

Home Port
    Warwick, RI

Boat Rod & Reel

Hello,

Thank you for the information, I have a few more questions.

What length and action would be most suitable for the rod with the 65 braid and what model Shimano Tekotas would you recomend for this package? Also what length and action rod would be best for the 704z?

I really appreciate any help as I am new to this and my head is spinning from learning to navigate around the bay and trying to figure out how I am going to catch a fish.

Thanks again,

Ken

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    I don't think there's any "magic number" on the rod length and action, it's kind of personal preference.......as I said, my 2 704's are on 8'ers, one 10-25, one 15-30, both medium action.......the Ugly stick is amuch lighter tip and action, though, by far, over the Shimano, so it gives me versatility.

For your boat rods, again, it's preference.

I bought an Avet SX this year and mated it to a 10-25# Medium Action 6'-9" Ugly Stick Tiger Lite, and love it. This 6'-9" rod has the same length as many 7'-ers from the reel too the tip, it is slightly shorter in the butt, but has cork tape and a large butt end which is comfortable to fight a fish "on your leg", etc....

This rod moved me towards lighter gear than I have traditionally used, and I am liking it so far

I find myself leaving many of my other rods at home now LOLOL. I use this one for Bass, Fluke, will be for Tautog......

Check out the recent pics while hooked into bass in the 20-25# range:

http://www.nbssportfishing.com/vBfor...ead.php?t=3851

http://www.nbssportfishing.com/vBfor...ead.php?t=3870

Home Port
    Pt. Judith/Green Harbor/W.Mass
    Images
    that rod bend gets the blood pumping!!!! good job!!

Home Port
    Warwick, RI

Boat Rod & Reel

Hello,

Thank You again for the information it gets me started in the right direction.

Ken

Home Port
    Warwick, RI

Avet & Ugly Stik

Hello,

I have taken your adice and am going for the Avet SX & the Ugly Stik.

Do you use braided line on this combo? 20lb ?

I hope to have everything together by the middle of next week try some spots around Greenwich Bay and out to Ohio Ledge. Just have to figure out baits & tackle.

Hope to have some photos of fish in the near future.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast