Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat floating needlefish.

Fat floating needlefish.

Since it's slow in here I figured I'd post something to try to liven things up.
    I made a single fat floating needlefish and snapped it off the first time I took it out for a test swim. It looked great in the water before I watched it sail off into the horizon so I made a few more. For some reason I made these a little different by putting some weight in the tail. They sit like a pencil popper with about 2" sticking up out of the water. Holding the rod high it can be worked like a pencil popper or a spook but when the rod is held even with the water and off to the side it walks the dog 6" inches below the surface. I took the pearl white one (Top) to the river around 2 in the afternoon on a cloudless day a couple weeks ago and a 32" striper whacked it 15' from shore.

I sealed the first 4 with epoxy and they all floated the same but I soaked the rest in a oil/mineral spirits mix and I guess they all absorbed a different amount because they float different. One actually sank, some floated with only 1" of the nose above water and a few floated almost level (flat on the surface). I'm going to seal the next batch with epoxy hoping for more consistent results. They were the ones I thought floated the best anyway.

7.5" body only and 2.7ozs.

Another herring pattern because I live in Pennsylvania by a river they spawn in. I'll be trying these next year when they show up again.

Reversed the bottom one to resemble a squid. Sinks slowly arse down.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Wynnewood, PA
    Plugs look great, where in PA are you from?
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

How you retrieve it ...slow?
    Have you tried any with a metal lip?

I like the paint job!!
    Looks good!

NBS Extreme Angler Another non-African Safari Champion, Bow Hunter Champion, Yeti Sports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Turtleshot Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, Flipped Out Champion REDNECK's Avatar
    Home Port
    cape cod
    Images
    those are friggin' killer
    EVIL IS STRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Doug View Post
    Plugs look great, where in PA are you from?
    Thanks, I live in Levittown.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
    How you retrieve it ...slow?
    Have you tried any with a metal lip?

I like the paint job!!
    Looks good!
    They can be retrieved very slowly like a pencil popper or with the rod held level with the water reeled as fast as you can reel and with twitches looks very erratic, like a frightened baitfish or anywhere in between.

I think I posted pictures of some metal lips if you search in this forum. I have some danny's that are ready to be sealed and might be making up some big swimmers.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by REDNECK View Post
    those are friggin' killer
    Thanks!! Lets hope the fish think so.

thay look great.
    i cant wait to get back to turning just too bussy at work.

Home Port
    Wynnewood, PA
    I have been hearing for the last several years that the bass are becoming more and more plentiful in the Delaware each year. I have not fished for them there yet but I am going to take a shot there next spring before my summer season in CT starts

Glad to know there is another person from PA using the site.

Doug

Speartoss 5 Shots Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Damn Birds! Champion, Deadeye Logun S16 Champion RI Popper's Avatar
    Home Port
    www.atlanticoffshorelures.com
    Images
    beautiful work!

Armand
    "Fish are a gift from God, by way of a good Lure"
    www.atlanticoffshorelures.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast