Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 fluke season. Wll the East Coast have one?

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782

2007 fluke season. Wll the East Coast have one?

Hi Folks,

Are you anglers in CT, RI, and Ma staying up to date on what the Federal commissions might do to our fluke seasons in 2007. 78% reduction to 5.2 million pounds, reduced from 19.? pounds, for recs and commercials OR a closed season.

In NY we are fighting hard. Many groups have joined forces, United Boatmen of NY and NJ, Recreational Fishing Alliance of NY and NJ, Marine Trades Assoc., NYFTTA (tackle dealers), surf fishing organizations and many more.

Please go to www.mels-place.com click in the box at the bottom of the Home page that mentions fluke. You will then get to read a very informative and consise article about this problem. Please check this out as it affects all of the States on the East Coast that have a fluke fishery.

This is only the beginning. Porgys, sea bass, blues, are all on the list to be hit. If we lose the fluke fight I hate to think about all the others we will lose. I feel the fplks behind this are out to eliminate our rights to go fishing.

Please get involved.

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi friends,

An update on the raffle. Thank you to the folks from NJ, CT, RI and MA who sent in checks for the raffle. It is over this SATand the winning tickets will be pulled sometime after the mail man comes. Maybe a laate check or two. I will call the winners. I believe we passed the $11,000 mark yesterday. I will post the final tally. Thank you to all.

Capt Neil

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    good job neil.........

Close it !

If a closure of the fluke season is going to help I say Cose It !
    You can respect the sea or she can take the respect from you.

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Flukinoff,

It is not a case of not enough fluke in the sea. It is a case of what the National environmentalists, you can read that as do gooders being paid to spend rich families charitable trust fund monies, threateningthe fisheries managers with law suits if they do not get their way. These groups have the money and might to threaten and pull it off. So the Magnuson/Stevens Bill has a 204 million pounds of fluke written into it which by the way is an arbitrary number. The scientists say the 104 million pounds of fluke they say is in the seas is an all time recorded high.

We are fighting to get the wording changed in the Reauthorization of the Magnuson/Stevens Bill to say allow the scientists the fredom to manage this 204 million number over the necessary years to do so. A strict cutoff of the year 2010 is absurd.

Do you have any idea of the economic impact that will be felt by the industry and associated industries? We had a fluke closure of Sept 12 in NY this year. I went down to Captree where all the pbs are on Sept 13 around 1:30 PM. Akmost every boat was tied to the dock with no one around, a ghost town. Think of all those who did not get a days pay. They would normally sail until the fluke left sometimein Oct or some years Nov.

As you can see this is not a simple shut the season down and walk away. When we come back everything will be solved. These areour families, neighbors and friends that are involved.

Capt Neil

(631) 567-8049

You sound like a Carter Boat Captain that is afraid of losing money ? You don't by chance run you own charter ?

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    hi fluke no, neil is a captain, also a custom rod builder. he is a great voice for the fisherman. very respected in the fishing/boating community. neil is a great assett...............jim

Jim, is he a Carter Boat Captain or not I am confused ?

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    neil runs party boats on occasion...........

So, then he has something to lose if this regs are passed. I am looking for a reason to jump into this fight but people outside the industry have to convince me that it won't be good for fishing. I know lives will be changed by this legislation but if it means conserving a resource for my children to enjoy I am for it . I think we have to look :shock: at the big picture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast