Thread: Hypalon or was it my fault?

Hypalon or was it my fault?

Hi Folks,
    I'm sure Billy can answer my question since he's the foam grip guru! :lol:

I had a hypalon grip that I added some eva foam accent rings to. I usually use weldwood contact cement but only had Elmers cement on hand. So, I glued the grip up. Well, days later I was pulling on the grip making sure everything was bonded well. It wasn't! The hypalon pieces on each end of the eva rings just popped off. I was wondering if the problem was two different materials or the brand of cement.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    maybe neil can answer

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Finaddict

Hi,

If you used white Elmers glue, that glue is water soluble.

Elmer's yellow glue is NOT water soluble.

The main concern now that it comes back to me is than Elmers glue needs air to dry. I have heard of Elmers glue being used to install grips and 6 months later when the grip was removed the glue was still wet.

Contact Cement adhers by the connection of the adhesive to each other.

Epoxy such as U40 Rod Bond dries by chemical reaction, heating up.

I hope this helps. I am sure a chemist can give a better answer.

Bottom line, always use contact cement.

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

uuuh....I did use contact cement, only this time I used Elmers instead of Weldwood.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Finaddict

hi,

I am not familiar with Elmers Contact Cement. With that name you would think it should work.

I only use Weldwood Contact Cement. The builders I know that do all the inlay butt work use Weldwood also. Not only does it work but cleans up easily and can be sanded more easily than an epoxy like U40 Rod Bond.

I use U40 Rod Bond for all my reel seats and grip installations.

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

I thought, in the past, Billy told me that eva and Hypalon doesn't glue up very well. I could be wrong about who told me that. Anyway, I was really surprised that it came apart like that and I hadn't even attempted to put it on a blank yet. I just picked it up and start tugging a little bit to make sure it was good & tight and noticed it started to come apart. Pulled a little more and it just popped right off. Didn't tear the eva or the hypalon. I used the Elmers because that's all I could get at the time. I will do a test again with Weldwood. I've never had a problem with weldwood.

I also use U40 Rod Bond for all my seats, grips, butt caps/gimbals, etc. Good Stuff!

Thanks,
    Steve