Thread: St Croix 2C56MF Blank, 1/4-3/4 oz lures, 10-17 # test line

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782

St Croix 2C56MF Blank, 1/4-3/4 oz lures, 10-17 # test line

Hi,

Was shallow water bucktailing for fluke last week and was watching the guys use what I call "Twitchin' Rods" catching more fish than I and having a blast. Sooooooo, I went thru my blanks till I found what I was looking for. Although this balnk was 5 1/2' long I extended the butt 14". I added cork grips a spin reel seat, spin guides and a tip top.

What a nice rod it turned out to be. I wanted it done in a rush so I gave it top priority. The finish was barely dry this afternoon but I waxed the rod installed the reel and got on the Celtic quest pb out of Port Jefferson. I caught 12 or so very nice fluke, had a blast hooking and fighting the fluke but only a couple were over 18". I was using a 1/2 oz Spro lure with a hi teaser. This blank is a winner!

Oh, I bought a Diawa Crossfire 1500 spin reel and had 10# Power Pro installed. The Noreat guys know I don't like synthetic line but I am trying. Need less to say I had a ball.

I believe this blank comes in 6 1/2' and 7'.

I have been waiting for a blank order from Batson Industries and it arrived after I left for the PB. The Forecast Graphite blanks, MB843, have the sanme specs as the St croix. Can't wait to build a conventional and a spinner as demo rods for this type of bucktailing fluke. These Forecast blanks feel great!

Capt Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Neil, I've been using that blank for a few years as my Jetty BT FLuke rod.....sort of. I built mine as a 6'6 2-piece to throw FW Slug-go's at LMB. First time I used it, teh rod broke 4" frm teh tip, first hookset. Spoke to SC, sent everythign back, a few weeks later I recieved a new tipsection for the blank...as well as the BROKEN tip section. I now have a rod I can fish FW with one tip, and SW with the other.

Thos eFW blanks do make nice BT sticks, ideal actually.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi Billy,

The rod worked great! I was using 1/2 oz Spro lure with a hi taser. The wind was strong and with the outgoing current the drift was fast. Trying to get the feel of the tip I was too often off the bottom and the shorter fluke would chase the bait and get caught. If I had a 1 oz Spro with me I think I would have caught more keepers.

Was just looking at the Batson MB843 blanks that arrived. Very simular to the St Croix. These are the Forcast 33 million modulus graphite. A low generation of graphite and they should hold up to the rigors of synthetic line. I hope to use these as a new model of The Long Islander Series rods.

Neil

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi Guys,

I loaned the Twitchin' Stick to a young angler this weekend. He was going ocean fluking out of Moriches Inlet. They spot a pod of bunker. He snags a bunker and of course before the bunker gets in the boat a big blue, about 10 lb, grabs the bunker and heads south. Off to the races. Now this rod is rated 1/4-3/4 oz lures! AND, it is a graphite blank, albeit second generation graphite. Fortunately 2nd generation graphite can take more abuse than the newer generations of graphite.

When I got home yesterday from running the Port Jeff Prowler there was a phone msg waiting for me. It was from the young angler stating what a blast he had with the rod and he wants to buy it.

He just left after bringing me the check. Now I have to make a new demo Twitchin' Stick so I have one to fish with. Ha!

(631) 567-8049