Thread: neil ???????

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images

neil ???????

hi neil. do u have pics of the acid rollers with the spiral placing on the rod..the ones u brought to my shop.......thought it was strange...but made alot of sense....thanks , jim

Senior NBS Member Capt Neil Faulkner's Avatar
    Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi Jim,

Yes I do.

How do I post pics on your site.

Neil
    Custom Fishing Rods by Capt Neil
    Home of The Long Islander Series of rods
    Sayville, Long Island, New York

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Neil,

Right now you have to host them off-site (I use ImageShack, some use PhotoBucket, etc).

Then paste the pic link inbetween the following code:

[IMG]picturelink[/IMG]

8)

I've seen the acid rollers before, seems to make sense and pretty wild looking but never used them yet. 8-)
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi,

Oh my, I am in trouble now. With my limited computer skills I had better get my son to help me put up pics.

Ha, would you believe I use to fix multi million dollar computers and today I can't properly navigate around a PC. I'd rather be building rod or out fishing.

Neil

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Neil Faulkner
    Hi,

Oh my, I am in trouble now. With my limited computer skills I had better get my son to help me put up pics.

Ha, would you believe I use to fix multi million dollar computers and today I can't properly navigate around a PC. I'd rather be building rod or out fishing.

Neil
    The older we get the less we seem to give 2 shits about computers (how they work anyway). As long as it works, I am happy.

I used to be so into them in college, now 11 years later since I've been out, I just want the damn thing to work. LOLOL

I am still fairly proficient but I think Brad would be talking Greek if he tried explaing some of the stuff out there now :shock:
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    ARCTEKJim,

Here is a picture of an Acid/Spiral Wrapped Rod, showing how the line goes from the top of the rod, down to the bottom of the rod.

John Mantele (of Neptune Acid Roller Guides)

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    Hi John,

Thanks for posting the pic of the Spiral wrapped rod. Great pic.

If this is new to any of you, here is what it is all about. When the line travels above the center line of the blank all is well until a fish loads the rod/blank. As soon as the tip is bent down the blank will twist/torque to either side of center. Your holding the rod or a gimbal is what keeps the rod from rotating 180*. Holding a rod all day and fighting fish is why your hand/wrist is tired or aches.

Now about 90 years ago a fellow decided to wrap a rod where the line comes off the reel on top of the blank and then rotates thru the guides till the line is under the blank. Now you have completely removed the torque/twist and the rod will sit in your palm without rotating while reeling in a fish. This was called a Robert's Wrap after the person who has been given credit for this. You may hear it called an Acid Wrap, usually a West Coast term that has moved East.

Many anglers will not fish one of these rods as they say it looks too weird. However, I have made them for anglers with neck, back, shoulder and hand problems and they love them as they can fish with comfort.

Until recently you could not make a spiral wrapped roller rod as the proper roller guides did not exist. This is when I became acquainted with John as he designed these guides and I believe manufactured them also for All American Roller Guides.

We had very lively discussions on a west coast web site. Many builders/anglers said the guides would be torn off the blank fighting big fish. I and a couple others defended our designs using these rollers. Several of the rods I build were used on the San Diego Long Range tuna boats. These rods using All American Roller Guides have caught tuna up to 250 lb. Guess what? The guides are still on the rods where I placed them. Many anglers using a spiral wrapped rod believe that you can put more pressure on the big tuna.

So there you have it. I have a couple of demo rods wrapped this way that I loan out. Unfortunately I am on Long Island. You would have to come get them. Unless I got then to Jim and he would be the caretaker of them for a couple of months.

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Here is a photo of a 259 Lb. Yellowfin Tuna, which was landed in appox. 15 minutes by Dick Meirowitz of Long Island, NY - who was fishing the Pacific Ocean's Hurricane Banks, 450 miles west of Cabo San Lucas Mexico, aboard the boat "Excel". The fish was one of the Jackpot winners. Please note that the Neptune Acid/Spiral wrapped rod (in the photo) that Dick used to land this fish, was custom designed and built by the Master Rodbuilder "Capt. Neil" who is the moderator of this forum.

John (Neptune)

Home Port
    Sayville, NY 11782
    NeptuneGuides

Hi John,

As many times as I have seen this pic I am still amazed by that tuna.

How come the guides are not twisted all over the rod and falling off? Ha, ha!!! That was some debating back then. Debating???

I still wish I could have arrived on that dock to challenge those anglers who said the guides would fall off. I still believe that they would have stayed in place with the masking tape wraps.

Here on Long Island I am still unable to beak into the off shore rod market and that is why I have not been ordering more roller guides. Guess I have to buy a 48' Post and go off shore fishing. Oh gosh that finish smell has gotten to me again, ha!

thanks again John.

Neil

(631) 567-8049

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    very cool. thanks for the photos john/neil ........jim