Thread: For those who may LAUGH at this knot!!!!! L@@K

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images

For those who may LAUGH at this knot!!!!! L@@K

I have been "laughed at" in some "knot threads" about joining braids to mono/fluoros........when I have suggested a Double or Triple Surgeon's Knot (VERY SIMPLE!!!!!) as opposed to the Uni-Uni, bla bla bla that people keep saying is the ONLY proper way to join these 2 lines.

Well, I'll keep spending literally 2 seconds tying the Double/Triple Surgeons and spending MORE time fishing

I have NEVER broken the knot. Whenever I have a breakoff it occurs somewhere else. Always.

I had to break my rig off yesterday when a tog hung me up real good.

This was the result:

That is 30# Seaguar Fluoro joined to 30# Fireline. I don't remember if that was a Double or Triple Surgeon's, I tie what I feel like at the time. Breakoff was ~1-1/2" to 2" from the knot on the fluoro. Other times I breakit off near the hook, near the sinker loop...whatever.......but NEVER this knot.

Never any slippage either.

FWIW, either Saltwater Sportsman or Sport Fishing did an extensive knot study recently and for joining braid to mono/fluoro, Surgeon's Knot variations fared BETTER than Uni-Uni and other "recommended" knots in breaking strengths 8)

SOOOO......before you discount the ultra simple knots......remember.....sometimes it's best to KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Fairfax/Lynchburg, Va
    Images

Sweet

Rock on!
    He must become greater; I must become less.

Home Port
    Westbrook CT
    Images

KISS
    Keep It Simple STUPID

I have used that connection for braid to mono as well as stepped leaders for fly fishing. As 74Formula said the knot doesn't usually fail.

2003 Parker 2530 "El Mar"
    1973 Seacraft 20SF

i still laugh at you eric.

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    OOOOOH that is just ugly.

Home Port
    New Jersey
    Images

Im in the same boat

I use that knot all the time, aalso like a spider hitch knot for double lines or loops. Its easy as well and has a highbreaking strength

I understand your making a loop with teh surgeons knot but how are you connecting them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screencapture003.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	2562  
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    gman,

Not that surgeon's knot (loop)

The joining surgeon's knot.....

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeon...matedknots.com