Thread: Blackfishing

Blackfishing

Got out this weekend in the W. Haven area and between the three of us we managed 11 fish. Nothing huge but the average fish was probably 3 pounds with a couple 5's & a 6lb'r. Unfortunately, I only landed 1 fish the biggest of the day but still a poor outing for me. Has anyone ever heard of blacks being line shy ?

You can respect the sea or she can take the respect from you.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    I think line-shy is up in the air for them. I have caught them successfully on all kinds of leader material.

That said, Fluoro has abrasion-resistance benefits in that you can use smaller line diameter for better abrasion resistance than you could use with regular mono to get the same "abrasion-resitance" (thicker diameter, more sacrificial material lol).

I typically use 30# Fluoro. I don't buy the real expensive stuff for this use, get the cheapest 25yd Spool and it'll last ya a long time! 8)
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Good deal....never heard of them being line shy

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    nice trip nontheless....water i think is a lil warm.........jim

Home Port
    Branford, CT

tarred line

Flukinoff, my Dad who recently passed away at 96, told me of the early days of toggin with hand or drop lines of tarred line. If that didn't spook the togs, nothing would. He said there was a boat livery on the shore of NH Harbor that would row you out to the breakwalls in the morning so you could fish off the walls and pick you up late afternoon. The fee? 50 cents! He once caught a 16 lb tog there. (in the 1930's)
    All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    SWEET.................

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Dontcha just love talking to the old timers sometimes???

The history they have to offer is so cool...... 8)
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Plugmeister, that is an awesome story ! Awesome ! Anyway, I guess I got my answer on being line shy. I am going to stick with greens.
    You can respect the sea or she can take the respect from you.