Thread: world record striper a lil history

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images

world record striper a lil history

Al McReynolds pulled this World Record striper from the Atlantic fishing at night off the Vermont Ave. jetty in Atlantic City following days of September Nor'easter storming in 1982. The fish was taken on a 5 1/2-inch long Rebel Black-back silver minnow plug on 20-pound test line. It took one hour and 40 minutes to land the fish on the slippery jetty. The fish measured 53 inches in length with a 34 1/2 inch girth, and was estimated to be 20 - 22 years old. Its 78 pound 8 oz. weight earned it the IGFA all-tackle record!

Courtesy Of New Jersey Department of fish and wildlife

Home Port
    CapeCod
    how about that 'other' world record striper caught off of cuttyhunk? the one that lost a few pounds on the way to the scale and was short of the record by less than a pound. one of my friend's father owned the boat...there was an article in the paper a few years ago, i had an electronic copy, see if i can dig it up. it was an interesting read.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Yeh, see if you can dig that up......think i remember hearing something about that.......
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    willington ct
    Images
    Back in the old days when bunker were thick there was many large cows caught like Als most went to market and were never recorded.
    With the return of the bunker today you may see some of these great fish again....

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Good point Raven......

The bass need the bunker, it is their most important food source. Feeding on other fish like scup, fluke, crustaceans like lobsters, worms, eels, etc are all well and good but they aren't as high in the fat content and protein that is really the best for them. Bun ker is simply their best food source.

For instance, the 45" bass I caught Saturday weighed in at a measly 28# on my Rapala digital scale. I know that thing is usually pretty accurate, unless the batteries were almost dead or something LOL.......

But "back in the day", a 45" Striper would weigh considerably more than 28#. Should have been more like 30-35# anyway.

Still a nice healthy fish, but not as fat as I'd like to see. 8)

Home Port
    willington ct
    Images
    For instance, the 45" bass I caught Saturday weighed in at a measly 28# on my Rapala digital scale. I know that thing is usually pretty accurate, unless the batteries were almost dead or something,,
    Sounds like it was straving to be that lite,put that fish on a bunker diet it would tip on the mid 40s..

Home Port
    CapeCod
    well, i looked and i can't find the story...but i will re-tell what i can remember...

i believe it was charlie soares who wrote the article, and it was really to honor my buddy's father, who's last name is Chicca. he is from swansea, ma. a very well known bass fisherman in that era of cows. Chicca had caught A LOT of BIG bass in his career, lots of 50's and 60's. the story goes that he was selling his boat, and the guy who was buying it wanted to take it for a sea trial, so Chicca offered to do more than that, to actually take the guy out in search of a fat pig bass off cuttyhunk. so, the two of them went out and landed a giant...i am going to make up the numbers because i don't remember exactly, but the world record at the time was something like 74lbs. this fish weighed something like 77lbs. the new world record!! it was actually the guy buying the boat that was on the rod. the problem was the scale that measured 77lbs was not a certified weigh station. they had to bring it the main land to get it on a certified scale....well, by the time they got there (new bedford?), several hours had passed (had to wait for store to open) and the fish weighed in at something like 73.75lbs, 1/4lb shy of the record. i will have to see if my buddy (who i haven't talked to in a while) still has an electronic copy of that article.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    For instance, the 45" bass I caught Saturday weighed in at a measly 28# on my Rapala digital scale. I know that thing is usually pretty accurate, unless the batteries were almost dead or something,,
    Sounds like it was straving to be that lite,put that fish on a bunker diet it would tip on the mid 40s..
    Yeh I'm sure he was drooling over the bunker chunk that passed in front of him....

Unfortunately for him it was his last meal.....and he is my lunch that I'm eating right now LOLOL

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    chainsaw, wild story....i do remember hearing something about that!