Thread: Branford area toggin...

Home Port
    Branford, CT

Branford area toggin...

Went out on Wednesday targeting togs in the Thimble Island area. Was at the dock by 6:15 am. Fog, fog and more fog. The thickest fog I'v ever seen. Went half way up the river but turned around because I couldn't see my anchor on the bow of the boat.

Noticed that Chuck was out on his boat, so I hailed him on the radio. Chuck says it's not that bad out, just take your time. Yeah right, as he was heading in he had to get off the radio as the fog was thickest in the entrance of the harbor.

Anyway, finally made it out about 7:15 am and went straight to my area that usually produces. Set up with green crabs and nada. Not a hit, nibble, nothing.

Set up a pole with a fresh bunker chunk courtesy of Chuck and the pole started screaming. Line peeling off like never before. It took 8 or 9 minutes before I could see wat it was, a friggin' blue. But not just any blue, it was the biggest blue I have ever seen let a lone catch. It weighed in at 14.80 lbs. That was an incredible fight.

Long story short, we ended up catching about 8 very big blues and many porgies. We kept 3 monster porgies about 17 inches long. BUT NO TOGS! :x

Maybe next time.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Great report! The Togs will be getting thicker and thicker.....you'll get into them! Still early......

Been hearing about some big blues all over New England coasts lately!

We got into some Saturday with pogie chunks looking for bass, but managed to pull a 45" bass from below them. The blues were big there too...... :shock:
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    nights are getting colder.....wont be long.........great report..........jim

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    Whatever, the togs are there, and BIG, but WOW are they spotty! You have to find a really special spot. Matt and I hammered them Sat and Mon AM. Brooksie
    PS We have to get together before the season ends. I have a charter out of Snug Harbor, RI reserved for Oct 29. Need 1 or 2 more guys. Interested?
    All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Hopefully it'll pick up for you soon.
    I've noticed, so far, lots of hits for a short time followed
    by long period of waiting.
    Not sure if they're moving around and we're getting hit as
    they check out the spot I'm on or what.
    But it'll be 1/2 hr. of lots of hits then quiet for awhile, then repeats.
    Good Luck!

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    Plugmeister, I saw Bill down at the docks last night. He said you guys will be heading out, tomorrow I think?

If I go out, I'll be watching you like a hawk. LOL

I'll have to check with the boss for Oct. 29, my son will prolly have a hockey game, I'll let you know asap.

My son has been at the beacon the last two nights and said the black sea bass are very abundant, but all shorts. :x

like them bunkas huh?

Home Port
    Branford, CT

Sat AM

"Hit 'em again, hit 'em again, Harder, Harder" (The "Harder" was a WWII submarine, I believe.) Got nice togs to 9lbs this AM but wow did we have to hunt. Very slow pick. Tried many spots. Did best close to home. If I was going tomorrow I'd hit Townsend's and/or the Breakwalls.
    All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.