Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Homemade green crab trap

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images

Inexpensive Homemade green crab trap

I cant take the credit for inventing this .But my brother made this one with a few more holes from me .Drill as many holes as you'd like.The hole in the top is 2 1/2 inches with plastic container wire tied to keep crabs from getting back out.A weight is added inside on one side so it falls on its side in the water.You can use a can of cat food holes punched in or a fish head or bunker .Find a small tidal creek near the marshes around .I throw it in at low tide and go back the next day .Ussually I have more than enough bait for toggin.I also use a galvanized minnow trap that I snipped the hole on either end .and folded the wire back till the holes are about an inch and a half. Good Luck

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    chuck great idea. i have a story about one of those very funny....never got to see if it worked..i will let eric fill you in...he types fster......jim

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    LOLOL....

When i have the time to type it, I will....I'm LMFAO right now over here as I saw this post, remembering ours from last year. Thought maybe he was gonna post that he found this one....looks similar to ours LOL
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images
    What did you do forget it was tied to the back of the boat.LMAO cause I have.

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    better............will tell story later.......... :lol:

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    Very ingenious design. Simple is always best!

nice design...but let's hear the story

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    OK OK......

Jim made up a crab trap similar to this one last year.

He and I went Toggin that day first, figuring we'd put some racks in it after, and bring it back out to set it.

So, we did very well Toggin nearby. Apparently we had a little TOO much fun Toggin' that day......jammin' to tunes, some cocktails, and plenty of Togs over the side (while others nearby watched in disgust with nothing coming over THEIR rails LOL).

Ran out of gas coming into the slip right in the "aisleway", so I got us in the slip with a few throws/pulls of the anchor.

Then we have to deploy the crab trap, so we jump in Roy's boat and head back out, after throwing a few racks in it. We look around out at the mouth for a nice spot and find a perfect one, pull up into the shallows a bit and I heave it out.

We were gonna check it in a day or two.......

When we went to check it, we couldn't remember where we put it (I wonder why). Looked all over the place for the damned thing!!!

After laughing our asses off, we ended up at Nyman's

Anything you can add that you may remember Jim???

Home Port
    SUNNY, ARIZONA
    Images
    LIQUID ADVIL

Home Port
    Madison Ct
    Images
    Bumping this back to the top .Time to build a crab trap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast