Thread: registering trailer with out vin

Home Port
    shelton,ct

Lightbulb registering trailer with out vin

Hey i just bought a used trailer off craigslist, i have no title, prior reg and not even sure if theres a vin number on it. the trailer is like 10 years old, anyone every register one of these in ct???

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Official NBS Demondink demonfish's Avatar
    Home Port
    Mattituck, NY
    Look into what the rules say about homemade. I registered one in NY by buying axles, lights from a chain store. I copied the reciept for proof and registered it as homemade. Then I returned the parts to the store and got my money back. You can also pay off your friendly junk yard guy to give you a phony bill for used parts.

Home Port
    branford
    I just went through the same thing with a jet ski trailer. Go onto
    State of ct DMV site. You have to get a temp plate make sure lights
    ect work and have it inspected and they will give you a VIN number so
    you can register the trailer. Doesn't cost much but a pain in the ass.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    CLINTON,CT

trailer reg

If it is a manufactured trailer (karavan,ez loader,etc) go to any ct dmv and request a vin check.You must show proof of ownership affidavit,form #H115 available @ dmvct.gov,Also a Bill of sale from previous owner.This applies to trailers under 3000# gvw.You have to get temps to get it there. Over 3000# or Homemade has to go to Hamden or Whethersfield.

Home Port
    Guilford, CT
    Images
    My trailer was registered in RI when I bought the boat. No visible VIN anywhere, had to get a temp and bring it down for VIN assignment. DON'T GO TO OLD SAYBROOK ON A RAINY DAY! Borrowed a truck and everything, went there and the nice gentleman said they don't do VIN's when raining! I had to beg and plead to get someone to stick the lousy sticker on the trailer...

I love the DMV.

Home Port
    shelton,ct
    Well, should i tell them its homemade when i go and register it? The guy i got it from wasn't the original owner and never registered it, SO i dont have a bill of sale, or anything, it is old, but no vin i can see, but it does have some 8 digit number on coupler.

Any help would be great