How To Sharpen a Filet Knife

Everyone needs a sharp edge when cleaning fish. Here is a simple set of instructions for sharpening that filet knife
Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: 10 minutes

Here's How:
1. Place a few drops of knife honing oil on a fine sharpening stone. Water will do as a substitute.

2. Place the stone on a flat surface with the narrow side at the top and away from you.

3. Hold the stone by the edges with one hand and place the knife on the stone with the sharp edge facing away from you at a 23 degree angle to the stone.

4. Draw the knife across the stone and away from you as if you were trying to slice off a thin sliver of the stone. Do this about 5 times.

5. Now place the knife on the stone at the top of the stone with the sharp edge facing you. Again, this is at a 23 degree angle.

6. Draw the knife toward you and across the stone. Again, pretend you are slicing off a thin piece of the stone. Do this about 5 times.

7. Repeat steps 4 and 6 alternately drawing the knife the same number of times on each side of the blade.

8. Finish by alternating the blade sides every other draw two times.

Tips:
A good knife will only require two or three draws

THE FLIP SIDE!!!

Now if you are of the school that says you should drag the knife the other way then just flip the knife over.

I have had more than a few old timers tell me that THIS is the best way to sharpen a knife. Start of by extending your arm in front of you with knife in hand.

Have the blade positioned so the sharp edge or cutting edge is facing away from you. Now instead of dragging the knife against the blade you pull the knife towards you with the blade.

And then flip the knife and push it away from you. Do an equal amount of strokes across the stone. Pretend the stone is a piece of bread and you are spreading butter on it. You will figure it out.

If you spread butter against the sharp edge of the knife it would dig into the bread, now do you get it? it is all a matter of opinion as I have heard passionate debates on who