Thread: 7/4 Shark Report

Home Port
    Mystic, CT/New York City

7/4 Shark Report

Left Block Island with a crew of six to find the man in the blue suit somewhere east of BI. With the uncertainity of the forecast, we planned on staying close in just in case we had to turn tail and head for the barn. Luckily, the sea state stayed somewhat settled for the day and we were able to put 8 good miles on the slick.

Although the water temps were promising, color and clarity was somewhat suspect. Nonetheless, we tagged and released 5 big blue dogs and one doggie.

Just prior to lines out, the man in the blue suit showed up. We watched him cruise the slick past the far balloon....then the middle ballon....then finally the near balloon without picking up. He then dropped deep. Thirty seconds later, he appeared twenty yards off our port side, on the surface, and swimming at top speed right at us. Ten feet in front of the shark was a bluefish swimming for his life. As they reached the transom the bluefish broke to the right and the mako collided with the boat. He reversed and made a mad dash back through the spread. As we stood there in complete awe of his speed, the reel on the near balloon started screaming and the line started cutting through the water towards the horizon. I picked up the rod, gave a count, then locked down the drag...........no bend, no resistance....a gut wrenching feeling. I let the bait sit for a couple of min just in case he decided to come back, but alas, nada. When we brought the rig back, it was obvious that he never intentionally picked up the bait (the bait came in fully intact).. he simply ran into the leader on his way through. MAKO 1, Anglers O.

Still searchin for my lost shaker of salt.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Great report Tony!

The Mako we had on our trip did the same thing (tangled in the line) but I was able to get resistance when I locked down on him and fought him several minutes or so thinking he was hooked......until the line popped a few times as he got untangled and was gone.

Untouched bait, as yours was! Nothing you can do about that, so it feels a LITTLE better than losing one by "angler error" or tackle failure :-)

Did you take your boat or were you on someone elses?
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Mystic, CT/New York City
    Agreed...nonetheless, it takes the wind out of your sails. I fished on a friend's boat (the same boat we fished the SI tournament with). The Got Rum? will be out on Sunday.
    Still searchin for my lost shaker of salt.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Rum?
    Agreed...nonetheless, it takes the wind out of your sails. I fished on a friend's boat (the same boat we fished the SI tournament with). The Got Rum? will be out on Sunday.
    Nice...good luck Sunday! 8)
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.