Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me get started Toggin

Home Port
    RI

Help me get started Toggin

Talk Tog.

I am pretty experienced fishing Narr bay, and southern RI, but I have never targeted this speicie. All of the talk on this board has peaked my interest. So I am going to head out tomorrow, and I thought I would ask the experts...

I have plenty of tackle. Should I use my fluke gear? This is 30 lb. powerpro on abu 6500s with a custom CMS 6' fluke rod. I don't know the blank- it is pretty fast, but has backbone. I also have heavier conventional gear that I use for drifting eels. I have heavier than that, but I can't imagine you would need it.

What is the best rig/presentation? Three way?

I have read that green crabs are a good bait, and this is probably what I will use, any other suggestions?

Location- I don't need your honeyhole, just looking for some general info. I am assuming rocky areas. Deep? Shallow?

What about current and stage of tide?

Do you just drop bait and wait, or do you actively jig like fluke fishing?

Anchor or drift?

Any other thoughts or hints are appreciated.

THANKS A MILLION

Zac

Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Use your fluke gear......plenty fine.

You can go crazy buying expensive small conventional reels and expensive rods, etc.......

But for now use your fluke gear. Hell I use a Medium action 7' Ugly Stick and a 704Z LOL. And I can outfish a LOT of people toggin'... Has a super sensitive tip and will bend right in the water with 16" legals, but plenty of backbone and the 704 has the power to get them out of the rocks fast.

Like golf, it's not the equipment ;) . The equipment you can get into anytime, it won't do much in the way of helping you catch, vs. your fluke gear.

30# braid is plenty.

I use single hooks for togs. I don't bother with double rigs. Not all they are cracked up to be IMO.

Green Crabs. And make sure you check your bait OFTEN, tey will rob it without you knowing sometimes. Or they'll eat the cheese out of it and leave the rest. Change the bait every time you reel up. Believe me, it helps....I think many guys try to make their crabs go too far and they miss out. I use half-crabs with ALL legs cut off.

Rocky areas, both deep and shallow. Try Plum Point Light, Brenton Reef, General Rock.....Hope Island......you get the point right?

They bite best when the tide is running. I have caught both incoming or outgoing but I think outgoing is a little better. When the bite stops, if I have a good spot, i stick it out and wait, and they will turn right on again. they are just like anything else, they can be eating like crazy then stop...then start......

You mostly drop the bait and wait but DO lift it off the bottom slowly occasionally to keep from getting hung up....also you can initiate a strike many times that way on the way up....be ready for it LOL....can get it on the drop too.....but mostly when it is sitting. They spook easily. My father used to spearfish for them for years and has personally seen their "behavior"....they're peculiar fish.

Expect to lose gear if you are in a good spot. Part of the game.

Anchor.

Aw, frig it, just come out with us once LOLOL

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    Zac, not too familiar with your fluke gear but it's prolly fine for togging.

For rigs, I use either a store bought hi low rig or my own tide hi low rigs. You can three way them or have the weight hang from the bottom. Hermit crabs are great if you can find them, but green and asian crabs are very good bait.

Basically I cut the crab in half, remove the back shell and a couple of legs. Trow the back and legs into the water for chum. Put the hook into one leg socket and out the other leg socket or through the body cavity.

Drop the bait to the bottom and wait for the togs to come tuggin'. Don't jig as the togs are skittish and are spooked easily

Best to anchor over a rocky bottom, and I usually get more action when the tide is moving.
    Sportfishing Forums | Saltwater Fishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Big Game and Sport Fishing Reports; for the serious Sportfisherman.

5/0 FRENZY STRIKE ENTICER HOOK, 6 INCH 60 PUND LEADER TO A BARREL SWIVEL TO A 60POUND 24 INCH LEADER (PUT A SLIDER SWIVEL ON THIS LEADER)TO A BARREL SWIVEL TO THE 40 POUND POWER PRO(I HORSE EM IN!) FIND A ROCK OR ROCK PILE, AND IF YOU DON'T GET WACKS IN 10-15 MINUTES MOVE...SOMETIMES 10-20 FEET IS ALL THE MOVE YOU NEED.
    GREEN CRABS, YANK ALL LEGS AND CLAWS OFF, TAKE OFF TOP SHELL, CUT IN HALF...OR IF YOU WANNA GET THE TOGS ALL STONED USE WHAT WE REFER TO AS "TOG-CRACK" ON "F" DOCK...HERMIT CRABS.

tHE FRENZY HOOKS ARE AVAILABLE AT WWW.FRENZYTACKLE.COM

Home Port
    Exeter, Rhode Island
    Images
    Zac, you'll see there's a million ways to do it LOL...

I actually use small 2/0 Gamakatsus to 30# fluoro, tied directly to the 30# fireline I have, using a double/triple surgeon's knot. Hook on bottom, dropper loop for sinker 12-18" up from hook.

(Forgot to describe my rig before)

Home Port
    RI
    Thanks for all of the advice, guys.

So I should be fine with anything from 2/0 - 5/0 hook.
    anything from 30-60 lb. leader.
    I will use a swivel. i don't tust my mono-flouro knot tying skills.
    I assume just enough weight to hold bottom.

What is the best way to hook the crab?

i tie my 3-way rigs directly to my power-pro braid. i find togs are not line shy, when the bite is on, it's on!. when the bite is off the most transparent leader is not triggering a bite. also, when the water stops moving the bite usually stops also. ditto to previous advice, if i'm on a good spot & the tide slacks, i wait it out. usually the same pod of tuggers will be there to feed again. don't be afraid to move around....even if it is only a few feet, it can make a big difference. be careful toggin', it can be addictive! good luck
    cheers! cap'n mick

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    As others have said, if you don't get a bite in 15 minutes,move. Sometimes all you need to do is let more anchor rode out and/or pull some in and that little bit of movement can make a world of difference.

Home Port
    Clinton, CT
    Images
    A couple things I've learned. As stated no hits move...
    I start by cutting the motor to port and it'll swing the boat, then same to starboard. If nothing let out some anchor rode, a boat length, repeat.
    You'll find there are as many variations in rigs as guys fishin' them.
    If you are in the rocks, and should be, make your leaders long or top your braided line with 20' or so of mono. If the braid touches the rocks it'll break very easily....ask how I know. LOL.
    GOOD LUCK!

Home Port
    Branford, CT
    Togs will feed in as little as 3 feet of H2O so don't be afraid to go skinny. If greenies are small, use them whole, cut claws and legs off and break up the back shell with your sinker. We call those hockey pucks! If I'm fishing a spotwith a big tide, I fish 1 hook rigs. 2 hook rigs spin in the current and tangle and spook the togs. If the tide doesn't run hard I fish 2 hooks. Use the lightest sinker you can to hold bottom. Lift the rod every 15 seconds to let the sinker move down current. Sometimes the togs want you to leave 1 leg on. I put the hook through the joint where the claw was and out through the bottom shell. But--my buddy Matt puts the hook up through the bottom shell and out the top and he catches as many fish as I do. Also, sandworms, clams and steamed mussels work great if the scup, cunners, sea robbins etc aren't around. Fish a rock pile, especially a small one everyone else ignores. Some reefs you have to fish dozens of times to learn what depth, what tide, what season, up tide, down tide, slack tide etc. I use a Penn Slammer 6' rod, a Penn 330 GTI reel with 30 lb test Trilene XT or Sufix 40 lb test. I tie my own rigs. I tie sinkers to a 3 way with 20 lb test cuz it's usually the sinker that hangs up and that way you lose only the sinker. Im like 4/0 hooks. I don't like circles for togs. And remember, togs are weird. You might catch a bagfull fishing the port side of the boat while your buddy catches nothing on the starboard. Oh, and move every 20 minutes if you aren't doing well. We have a little, non descript rockpile we fish. The bite is from sunrise for about 45 minutes and then shuts off. But what great toggin, many and big! Why? Who knows? Togs are weird!
    All fishermen lie, except you and me, and sometimes I'm not sure about you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast